Sketchup to Gcode for Mach3

Discuss Laser CNC Software Issues

Sketchup to Gcode for Mach3

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 pm

There is a pretty cool new free program that can create gcode directly from Sketchup for 2.5D cutting on a mill. I imagine it would work fine for laser as well if you set bit width to zero. The program is called PhlatscripT. Here is a video.

lasersafe1

Re: Sketchup to Gcode for Mach3

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 pm

The software was designed to interface with their Phlatprinter, but it now also supports standard gantry machines. I'm not sure what the difference would be in Gcode? Still seems Y would be Y and X would be X and Z would be Z.

Not sure why they are patent pending on the Phlatprinter. It all seems like it was prior art. Doesn't craftsman make a shop bot that moves the product back and forth?

http://www.phlatboyz.com/Phlatprinter-3-Kit_p_9.html

An interesting variation could use a laser instead of the mill.
lasersafe1

Postby bdring » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:03 am

Good find

That is pretty cool. I would would probably call it 2.4D. It does not appear to be able to do pockets. It is open source, so it could be a good starting point for other projects.

It is probably blog worthy though.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby macona » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 am

Cant see them getting a patent either. Its a plotter, plain and simple. Just a rotary tool has been added. Also very similar to the sears robo carve. Problem with these designs is keeping everything registered. Error can accumulate in a roller
macona

Return to Software