what are your slic3r configurations?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

what are your slic3r configurations?

Postby oni305 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 pm

I use a QU-BD extruder with 1.75 PLA
Firmware: Repetier + Repetier Host

Now I have to make my first print, but I dont know how to set the correct slic3r parameters (mostly Print Speed)

what are your configurations?
oni305

Re: what are your slic3r configurations?

Postby Looper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:11 am

oni305 wrote:I use a QU-BD extruder with 1.75 PLA
Firmware: Repetier + Repetier Host
Now I have to make my first print, but I dont know how to set the correct slic3r parameters (mostly Print Speed)
what are your configurations?

Just to save you some time and frustration... If you end up having jamming issues with the PLA it's not a slicer setting. The only thin I found that resolved my PLA jamming in the QU-BD was to get a J-Head hot end. This was after two months of messing with my Slicer settings and tweaking most of the parts on the QU-BD extruder.
Looper

Postby brnrd » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 pm

First, you should have calibrated the steps per mm for your extruder and entered that in the firmware. Try this if you haven't done that: http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%2 ... tion_Guide

Then figure out the extrusion temperature (around 230 for ABS and 185 for PLA) by extruding in air.

Starting with the default slic3r settings, change the following:

1. Extrusion temperature to what you found by extruding in air
2. Bed temperature to 110 C for ABS and 60 C for PLA if you have a heated bed with proper coating/tape.

Then follow this calibration guide: https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/wiki/Calibration
brnrd

Postby blah_59 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Oni,

Although I am in the exact same boat as Looper in that I wasted a couple of months troubleshooting the QU-BD with 1.75mm PLA before I got a J-Head and fixed all my problems, let me throw some settings at you and maybe they'll work for you.

Print settings:
Try the temp at 185-190
All speed settings between 30-60
After playing with it you'll probably lower the perimeter speed and increase the infill speeds but to just get started keep it simple
With the standard .35mm qu-bd nozzle, .25mm layer height is a good "all-purpose" setting
2 perimeters and 2-3 solid top and bottom layers (then you can play with it)
Infill can be relatively low .2 - .3 for playing OR up to 1 to make something solid
I set the skirt to one loop or 10mm minimum
Support can be on or off depending on what your printing (a lot of overhang you'll probably want it on)

Filament settings:
Measure the filament at a few place and take the average for the filament diameter (if you don't have calipers use 1.75 and see what happens on a calibration print)
Start with the extrusion multiplier at 1 (then if your over-extruding you can turn this down in .01 increments, opposite if under-extruding)

Printer settings:
Set retraction length to .1
Set Lift Z to .3

If I didn't mention it, it's probably self explanatory. If I missed something important though, ask, we're here to help. Lord knows I ask a question or two from time to time. :)
blah_59

Postby oni305 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I have done my first print :D

The Slic3r settings look good.

The problem seems to be the temperature... i have preheat the extruder @235 °C and the first layer are ok, during the print it drop to 215°C and it seems too low...
oni305

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Don't worry too much about the temperature - you can cook PLA pretty high before you start discoloring it, and the tolerance on some of the cheaper thermisters is in the range of 5%, so.......

The above is made worse since the thermister is on the outside of the QU-BD, rather than embedded inside the heater block like the j-heads.

One other word of advice - just about everything you touch can change the extrusion properties, so try and make one delicate change at a time, and then test..
SystemsGuy

Postby oni305 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 pm

I have to do some tweaks to the extruder, because now i can't reach 220°C during the print, the fan cool down the entire extruder too much...
(if i turn off the fan for too much, the filament jam..)

Now i'll change the resistor to a 3ohm (instead of 6) to give more heating power on the head

The next step is to drill the heater block and put the thermister inside
oni305

Postby brnrd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

I thought the thermistor was inside the heating block in the QU-BD hot end. I'm surprised there isn't a hole in there for the thermistor. I would drill one if it's not there.

Having the thermistor mounted outside instead of inside the block will actually give a lower temperature reading compared to the actual nozzle temperature. I think most people went from extruding PLA at 185C to 205C when they switched to the heating block design with the thermistor inserted in the hole.
brnrd

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 pm

brnrd wrote:I think most people went from extruding PLA at 185C to 205C when they switched to the heating block design with the thermistor inserted in the hole.

I don't think so. I extrude PLA at 185°C and I have a J-Head with the thermistor in the hole, secured with a drop of high-temperature silicone. 185°C actual temperature is enough, and it's the default temperature for PLA pretty much universally. My guess is that, with the thermistor on the outside, you'd be able to extrude even at an indicated 175°C or so.

On the other hand, I read here that some QU-BDs have been shipped with a thermistor with a different characteristic, so what your firmware thinks is 205°C may be much lower.

oni305 wrote:The problem seems to be the temperature... i have preheat the extruder @235 °C and the first layer are ok, during the print it drop to 215°C and it seems too low...

This could be exactly that. I don't know how you'd check, but make sure you're using the correct temperature table for your actual thermistor.
cvoinescu

Postby brnrd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 am

There are actually different types of PLA: http://reprap.org/wiki/PLA

4032D requires higher temperatures and may need to be set as high as 230°C
4042D should extrude at 190°C
4043D 160-220°C around 180 is a good start (see http://ultimachine.com/pla)

Also, unless you actually checked the temperature in the melt zone of your nozzle by inserting a thermocouple into it, you won't really know how far off your readings are. I have done this with all of my hotends.
brnrd

Next

Return to ORD Bot