Cutting envelope question

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Cutting envelope question

Postby zachjowi » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Hello,

I recently built myself a cnc router that is 5x4' and am getting a replicator 2 3d printer. I would love to make a cnc laser and want to scale up from the original plans. The open scad software says Specify the dimensions of the usable cutting envelope you need. What is the envelope? If I want to cut stock that this 24" x30" is that the envelope I need or how much larger does the envelope need to be from the max size of stock? I'd also like to be able to put something roughly 9" tall in the machine.

Thanks
zachjowi

Re: Cutting envelope question

Postby BenJackson » Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 am

Do you want to make parts that are 24x30" or make smaller parts from stock which is 24x30? My 2.x laser can cut about 20.5x12.25" but I can fit much larger stock in there, easily 24" wide (which I often do because I cut standard plywood sizes into laser cutter size). Some lasers have passthroughs to allow much longer stock enter (or even pass entirely through) the laser's cutting envelope.
BenJackson

Re: Cutting envelope question

Postby zachjowi » Fri May 10, 2013 2:05 am

BenJackson wrote:Do you want to make parts that are 24x30" or make smaller parts from stock which is 24x30? My 2.x laser can cut about 20.5x12.25" but I can fit much larger stock in there, easily 24" wide (which I often do because I cut standard plywood sizes into laser cutter size). Some lasers have passthroughs to allow much longer stock enter (or even pass entirely through) the laser's cutting envelope.

I would start with stock that is 24x30" and if I wanted to cut it in half length wise or the other way I would like to.
zachjowi

Return to 2.x Laser Support