Advanced vector Cut Example using RetinaEngrave USB

Show pictures of stuff you made

Advanced vector Cut Example using RetinaEngrave USB

Postby fullspeceng » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 am

Here is a sample vector cut out of a piece of paper using the direct print advanced vector cutting from RetinaEngrave USB v3.2 using our low 40w Co2 laser. We put this a blue piece of anodized aluminum in the background to show the holes.

This cut was done at 100% speed at 10% power. This entire cut takes about a minute.

The only preparation was that we changed the outside border of the cut to a different color so that it cut it out last. We then direct printed this from CorelDraw and hit the "Go" button. No other prep was needed.

We'd be interested in comparing with people that run Mach3 and see if you can achieve similar results and how long the prep time takes you so will supply the original file if asked and you can show us you have an actual laser up and running.
Attachments
dragonVector.jpg
fullspeceng

Re: Advanced vector Cut Example using RetinaEngrave USB

Postby Tweakie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Excellent work Henry.

I had thought you were perhaps a bit optimistic about the total cutting time of 1 minute because that is an extremely long toolpath.

After trying to measure the toolpath I decided it would be easier to cut one myself. This is 200mm diameter and took 3 minutes 59 seconds according to the Mach3 elapsed time counter but the mass of my machine is a lot greater than yours and even with a feedrate of 2000 mm/min my acceleration / deceleration times slow it down considerably. (my artwork was produced from your photo).

They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and perhaps they are right. Once again nice job.

Tweakie.
Attachments
dragon1.jpg
Tweakie

Postby Tweakie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:31 pm

As a follow up to this I took up the offer for the original artwork, to make a better example than the one I have shown here.
The files supplied are attached and are of such poor resolution that it would be impossible to produce anything of quality.

Do you think these are the original artwork FSE used ?

Please make your own decision.
I would appreciate your views.

It is really not productive to have to make postings like this but if any of us really want true comparisons then we must be prepared to play on a level field.

My example was made by tracing the picture that was posted and obviously some detail was lost but my tracing is still better than the attached DXF.

Tweakie.

dragon1.gif
Tweakie

Postby fullspeceng » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:16 pm

We already sent Tweakie the original .cdr files used to make the drawing. We think Tweakie's job is pretty amazing for a reverse engineer but in his end result a lot of the corners are cut off and the finer details are overlapping or missing. Hopefully he can figure out how to get it into Mach3.

Since we can print from any vector program, it's painless for us to use any file format. File open/print/go. It's a 10 second operation.

One cannot complain about the origin of the file and just need to work with what you have. We purchased this file off a website and ran it as it came with no modifications other than change the outside border so it is cut last and the paper isn't sucked into our exhaust fan.

In RetinaEngrave, we fit our own spline trajectory to it so we can have a million separate points and we will find a smooth path to connect them all. We don't need perfect simplified artwork.

If you need to do a lot of rework on a file, that's a huge disadvantage. Your stopwatch needs to start when you download the file :)
fullspeceng

Postby fullspeceng » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Also we think it's bad form (if not illegal) to post copyrighted material that we privately emailed to you on a public forum. If we wanted to distribute our copyrighted material, we would have posted it ourselves.

We recommend the moderator delete this attachment.

Both Bart and John have RetinaEngrave and could run it for a 3rd party independent test. Just open it in CorelDraw/Print/Go (reduce power to keep the paper from burning up however). Nothing else needed. This is 100% the original file.
fullspeceng

Postby Tweakie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 am

Sorry to upset you Henry but if my tracing of you picture produces superior results to the artwork which you supplied and claim to be the original then something is badly wrong here.

Perhaps we should let others look at your "original artwork" , compare it to the picture you posted and then decide for themselves who is correct.

In RetinaEngrave, we fit our own spline trajectory to it so we can have a million separate points and we will find a smooth path to connect them all. We don't need perfect simplified artwork.

If this is the case then it could explain the higher quality seen in the photo - independent tests would indeed confirm this - I await the outcome.

Tweakie.
Tweakie

Postby fullspeceng » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 am

Paul:
Posting our copyrighted images freely for anyone to download without our consent is wrong, period.

These are not your property to distribute without our permission.

We freely offered these files to people that are qualified to run the demos (like you).

We paid for these files and it is against our fair use agreement for us to publicly share these.
fullspeceng

Postby lasersafe1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Sorry guys.. I've been behind on this discussion. Bart gave me permissions to do some spam editing, so I deleted the file (at the artwork owners request) since it was not for public consumption. I understand that this is a tracing of the original, but it is still not public domain. Henry gave me the file as well. I just didn't know what material I was supposed to cut with the file. Now that I see it is paper or thin cardboard, I will cut it with the LightObjects controller. I assume it is alright to post the result here, just not the original file.
lasersafe1

Postby fullspeceng » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 pm

If Paul had posted his traced results then it would have been ok by us. He generated those files and can do as he pleases.

However, the files he posted were the ORIGINAL files we privately sent to him to test so that he could improve on his results. These were never made publicly available by us anywhere.

Again, we were bound by our agreements not to put this into the public domain as these were fair use paid commercial images, not something we freely downloaded off the web without restrictions.

We're pretty disappointed that he wouldn't remove them himself but thanks to the moderators for doing the right thing.
fullspeceng

Return to Gallery