Eratic engraving behavior

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Eratic engraving behavior

Postby JValliere » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:09 pm

when sending a test photo to engrave, my machine will try to start at a position offset from the "box". Also, the laser head is eratic in its motion.
when I have test run cutting, it acts just fine and cuts very well and the mechanicals are smooth. What information is needed to help me get this bug worked out?

Thanks,
Jim
Video added

[youtube]http://youtu.be/tgHq6METEL4[/youtube]
JValliere

Re: Eratic engraving behavior

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm

We would need more information about your system. What are your electronics? What drivers and motors are you using?

From the video, my first guess would be your motor drivers aren't pushing enough current for the acceleration needed for engraving. This fits in with it cutting ok, as there's very low acceleration when cutting as the speeds are low. Try doing something to cause a rapid move from one end of the table to the other. Also, check for any binding on your X axis belt and that the wheels are adjusted well. I'm hearing a mechanical noise when it tries to begin a move, suggesting something slightly loose. I'm not hearing the noise I'd expect of dropped steps, so I think the pulses are just too weak. I am certainly not one of the experts with the DSP or anything, but those are my first impressions.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby JValliere » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:39 am

I am using DSP control, 40w laser, 1.x frame.
My stepper drivers were set at 1A, adjusted to 1.2A and problem was resolved. My X axis belt was a bit loose as well.
Thank you for the suggestions!!
JValliere

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Ah, I nailed it. Makes my morning a happy one seeing your post saying it's fixed. :D
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller