Pop goes the V-wheel

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Pop goes the V-wheel

Postby orcinus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm

... and i was wondering why i'm getting odd displacements on my layers in regular patterns.
Luckily, i've had two spare V-wheels i bought as an afterthought, back when i was buying the second Y motor kit for my Shapeoko.

Now i've only got one.
Fingers crossed that was the only one to crack.
orcinus

Re: Pop goes the V-wheel

Postby Improbable Construct » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:42 pm

I have had that happen as well.
I don't know what caused it on my shapeoko.
It was one of the lower wheels on the X carriage.
Maybe I plunged the Z too hard and put too much pressure on it.
Improbable Construct

Postby orcinus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 pm

That sounds like a plausible theory.
Mine was on the ORD Bot's bed.

And i've crashed the hot end into it more than once (spring loaded bed, so no damage to the extruder nor hotend, but still, significant pressure).
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:34 pm

When it rains...

Before the V-wheel, i had trouble with extrusion stopping after a random number of minutes, so i had to dismantle the hotend and extruder, replace the thermal barrier (SS tube), clean out the nozzle etc. Then the V-wheel cracked.

And then, yesterday, the X axis ground to a halt mid-print with a really REALLY nasty sound that rattled the whole table.

Since i've just bumped the PSU voltage up a tiny bit (1.5V), my panic-thought was "oh no, i've fried the driver". Which makes no sense, of course. But hey, panic. So i've replaced the driver with a spare one and - same thing. X stepper just rattles and shudders. So my next illogical troubleshooting thought is "oh no, one of the Atmega pins is fried". And i try plugging the stepper into a different socket altogether. Same deal. So i take out a spare stepper (yes, i'm a spare hoarder, i know) and hook it up and... same deal.

This is the point where it finally managed to get through to my brain that stepper moving back and forth very quickly means one of the coils is disconnected. So i check the connectors (and they're visually fine) and i do a continuity check and - lo and behold - it turns out one of the wires snapped.

No idea how. Bizarre.
orcinus

Return to ORD Bot