Ordbot housing kit

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Ordbot housing kit

Postby gyrogearloose » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:03 pm

I have developed a conversion kit for the Ordbot to turn the open frame structure into a semi enclosed super rigid machine. Check it out! It is made to fit all parts without modification. It is available in red or blue to match the existing anodized color scheme. The material used is composite Aluminium panel. See detailed description on my Ebay listing here: cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130967453639 The weight of the housing parts is only 2600 gram.
A 300x300x300mm version is under development and will be available soon also.
I have been trying to get in touch with the current Ordbot kit suppliers to see if they are willing to provide a cut down kit to go with my housing (Z-motor brackets, bottom rail, foot brackets and top handle bracket are no longer needed), but have not had much luck. Automation Technologies have been down right root and Reprapdiscount have not replied as yet.
Attachments
IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4762.JPG
IMG_4761.JPG
gyrogearloose

Re: Ordbot housing kit

Postby cozmicray » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Why?

I could see a full enclosure for thermal reasons?

This restricts access to all parts of the printer.

My Ordbot needs contant tweeking and an enclosure would really be a hassle.

Lots of money --- for nothing
cozmicray

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 pm

It looks cool, but I agree it's somewhat impractical. As for not being good value, that often doesn't stop people (myself included) if we think something is truly cool. I bet you'd sell two or three sets of skins if you made them out of carbon fiber and sold them for $1000, just because carbon fiber is at least 300% cooler than aluminum composite panel. In this particular case, however, I find the exposed printer more appealing, so I'd pass.

My main concern is that it seems to require a specific LCD controller, or at least a specific form factor -- it seems to be a Panucatt product, which is also cool but rather expensive.
cvoinescu

Postby gyrogearloose » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:52 am

The housing is not just for looks. This is not just a "skin", but a structural monocoque chassis of amazing rigidity. I fact, it will support the weight of a 80Kg man standing on it.
The Makerslide rails slot are held in position in notched cutouts on the panels. Proper alignment is guaranteed and maintained even if the machine is moved, transported around or subjected to shock loads.
All wiring and the power supply are concealed. The machine is specifically designed for the education market, where you cannot have exposed wires or an open power supply. The machine also has to be exceptionally rugged since students are not generally known to be gentle.
The access is not greatly reduced with my design. The throat width is increased by 60mm to maintain the full X-axis range with dual extruders. This makes the front opening wider anyway.
The Panucatt LCD interface is too expensive? Come on, it is the only professional looking one on the market where you don't have to make your own bezel up and it is $75. I chose the Panucatt viki panel specifically for it's functionality and finish.If someone sources the parts for the ordbot separately without the parts that are no longer needed when using my housing, the overall cost will not be that much anymore.
The composite panel is rather expensive to cut, since it cannot be laser- or waterjet cut. It has be done on a flatbed router. I am currently building my own large flatbed router with Makerslide. Once I have that going, I can cut the panels myself and the cost will come down.
gyrogearloose

Postby Improbable Construct » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:28 am

That's a cool looking mod to the ordbot.
Do you plan to release your drawings and make your design open source?
Improbable Construct

Postby gyrogearloose » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:19 am

Improbable Construct wrote:That's a cool looking mod to the ordbot.
Do you plan to release your drawings and make your design open source?

I am OK to pass the plans on privately if someone want to build one for him/herself but will not completely open source (yet).
gyrogearloose

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 am

I can see the appeal for the education market -- it's does, indeed, make the ORD Bot more acceptable.
cvoinescu

Postby nixtacy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 am

I like it. I like what appears to be a great finish to a decent printer.
For me, and the only huge negative, is that I have the crappy QU-BD extruders. In their crappyness, it requires me to look directly on the side of the extruder to load plastic. I could not do that with your setup. But that is specific to my setup only.

Otherwise, at roughly $200 USD, I like what I see and see the value in it.
Thanks for sharing with us!
nixtacy

Postby gyrogearloose » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:27 am

nixtacy wrote:I like it. I like what appears to be a great finish to a decent printer.
For me, and the only huge negative, is that I have the crappy QU-BD extruders. In their crappyness, it requires me to look directly on the side of the extruder to load plastic. I could not do that with your setup. But that is specific to my setup only.

Otherwise, at roughly $200 USD, I like what I see and see the value in it.
Thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks for your feedback. As far as your extruder is concerned, I have given up on the QU-BD crap long ago. Why dont you look at this one instead:
www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-100-br ... 28915.html
This is what I am using. Shit-hot value at $70 for all metal construction and encased silicone hotend with fully integrated temp sensor.It runs a springloaded pivot arm with a straight gear against a grooved bearing. This gives very reliable filament traction. All parts are machined Al machined billet.The delivery tube is M6 stainless, just as the QU-BD. Maybe that is where the Chinese got the idea from, this is just so much better though. You can also get the dual setup as a pigeon pair with access from both sides (As shown on my picture). Just make sure you specify the thermistor option, otherwise it will be send out with thermocouple and you need an extra circuit to connect to your board.
gyrogearloose

Return to ORD Bot