Ord Bot Build

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Ord Bot Build

Postby dave3d » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Newbie. I finally completed my Ord Bot build. Phew. Must have logged around 50+ hours.

Damaged the RAMP board - now fixed. Reflashed Marlin. Now it goes through the motions trying to print both with Repetier-Host and in stand alone mode. Great. Tries to print but not actually had a successful print yet. Nearly there.

The extruder is the problem. I have an QU-BD MBE 1.75 / 0.40 extruder. I followed the advice on here to drill it out and fit a PTFE tube. I have done that. Still problems. I think it is blocked. I don't like the extruder, it is built cheap.

Question - if money were no object what is the best extruder to get? i.e. engineering/reliability/ease of set up. Advice most welcome please.
dave3d

Re: Ord Bot Build

Postby rickmellor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 pm

J-Head MkV + the SeeMeCNC EZStruder? I just installed some E3D hotends on mine but I haven't run them for more than a few meters.

On the Qu-Bd there are still a number of things that can go wrong with the mod. If you didn't get the bottom of the barrel flat it can cause the PTFE tube to compress against the filament. Same thing can happen if your ends aren't cleanly cut on the PTFE. Or, if you have a gap between the PTFE tube and the ends of the barrel you can create a dam.

Assuming the mod is correct, the next thing that can cause it to act clogged is getting the set screw pressure too tight. What I do is back it out all the way and make sure I can feed the filament through by hand (hotend heated up, of course). Once I can do that I will turn the set screw down to increase pressure until it's able to feed by itself. I go about 1/2 to 1 turn further once it starts feeding and leave it there. It's pretty reliable with good quality filament.
rickmellor

Postby dave3d » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks Rick, I drilled the barrel down 3/4 inch with a 4mm drill bit and I then ground the point of another 4mm drill bit flat using a grind stone and used that to make sure the bottom of the hole was square and not tapered.
I also tried adjusting the set screw as it was extruding to find an optimum position. I will fit another length of PTFE and try again.

Latest problem now is the extruder motor seems dead. Maybe letting the printer run on with the extruder blocked was not such a good idea.

Will look at getting a J-Head.
dave3d

Postby rickmellor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Are you using the raptor gear that came with the qu-bd? That thing really is a joke. Some people have been able to use a tap to cut finer grooves in theirs so it would get more grip. I just replaced mine with the mk7 drive gear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK7-Drive-Gear- ... 3f1997474a

I forgot that I made that mod as well since I can't see it. :)

-Rick
rickmellor

Postby dave3d » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:26 pm

My QU-BD extruder has the original gear that came with it. I do not think much of it.
Maybe that is the problem. I will get a mk 7. Thanks for the tip.

I have also just been on line and ordered a Gregs Wade extruder. Without a hot end as yet.
dave3d

Postby dave3d » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 pm

While I am waiting for the Mk 7 drive gear, I am going to order a J-Head. Am I better switching to 3mm filament?
I am presently using 1.75mm with the QU-BD. What are the pro's and con's of 3mm vs 1.75mm?
dave3d

Postby rickmellor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:38 pm

I'd stick with the 1.75. The 3mm requires more force to extrude than the 1.75, that's why you can get away with direct drive with the 1.75. With the Wade's it won't really matter as it can handle 3mm due to the gear reduction... 1.75 will be a piece of cake for that thing.

If you're interested in printing nylon or something higher temp, take a look at E3D-Online.com. I just installed two of their hotends and so far I'm pleased with it. The j-head will be limited to abs/pla and other lower temp plastics.
rickmellor

Postby dave3d » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Rick. I have just ordered a 1.75mm J-Head with 0.4mm nozzle from Hotends.com.
I will try the other extruders you have recommended in due course. I just want to get up and running with a reliable extruder.
dave3d

Postby Josephur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Any update on your progress dave?

Did changing the extruder seem to solve most of your headaches?
Josephur

Postby superfro » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:17 am

I got hung up on fixing my qubd extruder as well. I've switched to the seemecnc ezstruder cold end + jhead from hotends.com, and i haven't looked back. I've only got a few prints so far, but I realized my time and stress level aren't worth fixing the qubd's flaws.
superfro

Next

Return to ORD Bot