Belt Tension Options

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Belt Tension Options

Postby superfro » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:07 am

Wow that's a really handy mod. Actually it looks like you have a few handy mods. I just got my ord bot printing and im still dialing it in, but i think the first thing im going to print are some of your modifications. Kudos.

flurin wrote:
flickerfly wrote:I'm continuing to try to track down a problem where thing Ord Bot won't print circles. I'm looking for information on belt tensioning as a potential issue with this.

I solved the belt tensioning "issue" using this bracket:

Bracket.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:43324
superfro

Postby Digitalmagic » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:17 am

cvoinescu wrote:
Digitalmagic wrote:By the way, I used GT2 belt instead of MXL, for a better strength and precision. Teeth are trapezoidal instead of rounded.

The other way round. GT2 belt has rounded teeth, MXL is trapezoidal. But yes, GT2 is better in this application.

It is more subtle than that.
PowerGrip belt started with trapezoidal shape and GT2 enhanced the tooth/groove contact, it is curvilinear, not rounded.
http://www.sdp-si.com/D265/PDF/D265T003.pdf
And sorry for my mistake about MXL.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby flurin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 am

Digitalmagic wrote:
flurin wrote:I solved the belt tensioning "issue" using this bracket: ... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:43324
Did you compare ABS and PLA ?

I used PLA. There was no reason to print an ABS one. The design make even a plastic bracket quite rigid.
I generally try to design things with short printing time and if possible to reduce the plastic amount.
flurin

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 am

Digitalmagic wrote:GT2 enhanced the tooth/groove contact, it is curvilinear, not rounded.

I fail to see the difference between "curvilinear" and "rounded" -- except that the former is erudite and the latter plebeian, they mean the same thing.
cvoinescu

Postby Digitalmagic » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 am

cvoinescu wrote:
Digitalmagic wrote:GT2 enhanced the tooth/groove contact, it is curvilinear, not rounded.

I fail to see the difference between "curvilinear" and "rounded" -- except that the former is erudite and the latter plebeian, they mean the same thing.

:-) . Plebian when you know, and erudite otherwise?

No, it is a design detail geometrical reality:
Formed by several curved lines. Versus rounded, a single curve (one arc only).
You start by an open trapeze, you replace the 4 angles by 4 arcs > curvilinear continuous line.
1 center defines the rounded tooth, not true in curvilinear.
This detail is enough to impact the teeth to groove accuracy.

BTW, Flurin has an avatar which outer outline is a marvelous illustration of what a curvilinear line can do!
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Previous

Return to ORD Bot