Wade's Reloaded questions

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Wade's Reloaded questions

Postby jammer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 am

One of the first things I ordered for my build was a couple of the Wade's reloaded kits from makergeeks.com. Joshua is great to deal with but I have a couple of questions about the wade's kits that I received and hopefully get some opinions on before I ask him to send me a replacement. I ordered one in yellow and one in green. My question is about the hole for the filament. The green one has a defect at the top of the hole right where the filament will go into the extruder body. The defect seems like it is about 6-7 mm deep. Does anyone have an opinion on if this is common or if I should ask for a new one. Here is a picture:

greendefect.JPG

By comparison here is a picture of the same spot on the yellow one:

yellowfilamenthole.JPG

My second question concerned the sizes of the holes themselves. The hole in the yellow one looks to be about 3mm in diameter whereas the one in the green one is about 5mm in diameter. Here is a side by side of the bottom of the extruders. You can see that the green one is larger:

yellowandgreenfilamentholes.JPG

I plan on printing with 1.75mm filament. Before ordering the wade's reloaded kits I hadn't thought that there were different sized filament holes. Now thinking about what exactly the extruder is doing makes me think the filament hole diameter does have an affect on the performance of the extruder. Thoughts? If I do ask for a replacement (which he said would be no problem to send out) I am wondering about asking him if he can print it with the smaller hole (not sure why mine were different in the first place). Have any of you found this to be an issue with the Wade's reloaded extruders?

Thanks,
Troy
jammer

Re: Wade's Reloaded questions

Postby oldrayj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm

I don't know if you have assembled your extruders yet. If not, I would make sure that the depth of mounting hole for the J-head and the distance between centers for the J-head mounting screws are correct. On mine, the recess for the J-head was at least 1.5 mm too shallow whereas the mounting holes were too close by about the same distance. I have asked for replacement parts.
oldrayj

Postby jammer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 am

oldrayj wrote:I don't know if you have assembled your extruders yet. If not, I would make sure that the depth of mounting hole for the J-head and the distance between centers for the J-head mounting screws are correct. On mine, the recess for the J-head was at least 1.5 mm too shallow whereas the mounting holes were too close by about the same distance. I have asked for replacement parts.

I haven't assembled the extruders yet. I started to assemble them but the issues above ended up being too much. The warping on the yellow extruder was enough that it kept the idler from smoothly putting pressure on the filament. The defect in the filament hole ended up being almost 9 mm when I measured it so I requested two new extruders. Haven't received them yet. I will take a look at the J-head mount and the mounting holes when I get the replacements.

Thanks for the heads up!
jammer

Postby jammer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:19 am

I received the two replacement Wade's Reloaded extruders from make geeks and they both look great. I am having a hard time coming up with a starting number for steps per mm for the reloaded extruder. I will be printing with 1.75mm filament. Can anyone give me a starting point that I can enter into the configuration.h file. I know I can fine tune it after I get it running.

UPDATE: Found this link http://reprap.org/wiki/Volumetric_Dimension_settings that gives the following formula:

micro steps per rev * gear ratio / ( pinch wheel diameter * pi)

So if I am looking at it correctly for my initial config:

(16 * 200) * (43/10)/(7.42 x 3.14) = 590.588 steps/mm
jammer

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

The number looks about right.

The best way to calibrate it is to run filament through the extruder, with the hot end removed completely. Mark the filament about 130 mm from the top of the extruder; measure that distance exactly, issue a command to extrude 100 mm, measure again to the mark, and subtract, obtaining the actual length extruded. Your correct steps-per-mm value is:

corrected steps-per-mm = original steps-per-mm * commanded length / measured length

Enter that in the firmware. Repeat at least once. If you measure the filament accurately, your second measurement (after one adjustment) should already be very close to the mark, and the second should be pretty much perfect.
cvoinescu

Postby oldrayj » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm

For the extruder I have (from the same source), I used a gear ratio of 46/9 and an effective diameter of the hobbed bolt of 7.5mm. i.e:

(16 * 200) * (46/9)/(7.5 x 3.14) = 694.503 steps/mm

I'm using 694.503 and the calibration checks out. As mentioned above you should do your own calibration. Good luck.
oldrayj

Postby jammer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 am

Thanks oldrayj. I take it that you received your corrected extruders? I am looking forward to getting this thing going so I can print my own upgrades.
jammer

Postby oldrayj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Being anxious to print, I managed to crudely carved out the J-head recess and bored out the undersize holes.
I don't' trust it so I requested replacement parts. They are supposedly on their way.
I have been able to get some fairly decent prints with 3mm ABS. I still have work to do to get high quality prints. Be patient -- it takes a lot of tinkering to find the right settings.
oldrayj

Postby jammer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:53 am

Oldray,

I really should have reread your post and taken your advice right when I got the extruders. Have you received your replacements yet? I finally got around to final assembly of the extruder and the hotend and guess what, the depth was fine but the j-mount screws were about 1.1mm too close together to allow the screws to fit around my E3D J-mount hotend. A little frustrated since this is the second set of Reloaded extruders from MakerGeeks. Here are a couple of pics to show:

Extruder J-Mount screws.JPG

Extruder J-Mount measurement.JPG

Hotend J-Mount measurement.JPG

I would guess that it is a problem with the reloaded files they are using. Has anyone else had this issue? I did check with the posted J-Mount specifications and they do state a 12mm diameter for the inner barrel.

At this point I might just go ahead and purchase a extruder kit from someone else. Joshua at MakerGeeks seems really nice but of the the 4 reloaded extruders he has sent me they are all unusable.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a reloaded extruder plastic kit for 1.75mm filament and a J-Mount that fits?
jammer

Postby MakerGeeks » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:37 am

Hey Troy, wanted to see what sort of JHEAD that was you are using... these Wade Reloaded are built to be used with a typical JHEAD hotend like this:
j-head-iv-clone-illustraion-2.jpg

Wondering if maybe that type of hotend you are using is a different setup than the regular JHEAD that most of the RepRap style printers are using??

Hope we can help you get this worked out and you up and printing!!

Joshua b Smith
http://www.makergeeks.com
"Make Happy @ MakerGeeks.com"
MakerGeeks

Next

Return to ORD Bot