Another ORD Bot build :)

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Another ORD Bot build :)

Postby Alekoy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 pm

So, here is my take on building the ORD Bot.
Controller: Ramps 1.4
LCD: full graphic version
Powersupply: 12v 30A
Heatbed: QU-BD 200mm x 200mm silicone heatbed
Hotends: 2x RP-ONE-LABS MG plus 40w cartridge heater
Extruders: 2x SeeMeCNC EZstruder with Bowden setup

I will be making my own mount for the hotends, extruders and a new mounting plate for the X-axis on my CNC mill.

I have received most of the parts for the build already, so hopefully the build process will be pretty fast :mrgreen:

I have not really figured out how the included home-switches are supposed to be mounted, so any hints are welcome :)
Alekoy

Re: Another ORD Bot build :)

Postby Alekoy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Part 1; Hotend holder.

So to begin the build of my hotend holder I looked through my collection of old motherboards and found a decent CPU cooler that I could change into something usable as a hotend cooler and fan mount,
I was a bit fast when mounting it up on my mill, so I forgot to take a picture before the machining started, I basically had to remove a recess they had made on the CPU side, I guess it was there so the cooler would not hit the CPU socket.

After taking this picture I got a bit excited and forgot to take pictures of the 2mm deep pockets I milled in it to fit against the flanges on the hotends, the holes I made to mount it, the cutting to half the size of it and the surfacing on the other side to get rid of some of the fins, but here it is with the hotends put into the slots, I managed to get them to fit almost like Lego's on the first try. (I was a bit pleased with myself, I must admit :P )

During this process I had drawn up the rest of the holder in Sketchup, the main mounting bracket was to look like this;

this was designed to make use of a 16mm aluminum plate I had from a previous project, so after some fiddling around in the CAM software I was ready to mill.

A LOT of alu-chips later I designed the hold-down clamp and Bowden-connector mount to be made out of 8mm Lexan.

And after some more machining and threading some screw holes this is what I have:

And with the Cooler attached, I will print a fan duct when I get the printer up and running :)
I might also reduce the size of the cooler, it sticks out quite a bit now :P

Alekoy

Postby flickerfly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 am

I'm curious if it's just the pictures or if you have another plan. It looks like there is an air barrier between much of the hot end and the milled pieces you made. Are you planning on smearing some thermal grease in there or do you think it is sufficient contact for your desired results.
flickerfly

Postby Alekoy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:04 am

The black part of the Hotends are making contact the full length of the 16mm thick mount, and about 180 degrees of the 12mm diameter, plus a tiny amount directly against the cooler.

HOWEVER, the black part of the hotends are made from PEEK-plastic, so it is really heat tolerant and as most other plastics, does not transfer heat that well.

The hotends are designed to work on Makergear and similar printers where it is supposed to be mounted in plywood,
even if the thermal contact might be low against the aluminium, it is still better than the thermal conductivity of plywood. :lol:
Alekoy

Postby flickerfly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:40 pm

:-) Yes I suppose it is. Thanks!
flickerfly

Return to ORD Bot