Help me identify a mystery part in my parts bin

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Help me identify a mystery part in my parts bin

Postby jammer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 am

I made the mistake of not identifying a part that I placed in my parts bin and now I can't figure out what to do with it. Is there anyone who recognizes what the heck this thing is? When I began this evening putting together my E3D hotend and at first thought this went with the hotend but there isn't anywhere to use it. I have everything from the hotend instructions done but this thing is leftover. Any ideas?

mystery part.JPG
jammer

Re: Help me identify a mystery part in my parts bin

Postby orcinus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Looks like an integrated heater + thermistor cartridge.
I never got anything similar with my E3D hotend, so i don't believe it came with that.

If it really is a heater cartridge with a thermistor built in, that's a terribly stupid idea.
orcinus

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Could that be a probe that's designed to measure the temperature inside the melt zone? It seems to me that one pair of wires may be a thermocouple (the twisted ones at the top), and the other pair seems low-current, so possibly a thermistor. Maybe the guys at E3D accidentally dropped one of their development measuring devices in your box.
cvoinescu

Postby jammer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks guys for the opinions. I forgot to mention that the white barrel feels like it is made of a ceramic type of material. I sent an email to E3D to see if they recognize it. Since is almost certainly has something to do with measuring temperature it has to be either from Panucatt (I ordered their Helios bed) or from E3D. I also forgot to put a ruler in the pic for a size reference. The barrel is at least 4" long.
jammer

Postby jammer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 am

Remember this thing when I was building my printer and couldn't figure out what it went to. Since I don't know exactly what it is and most certainly don't have any idea of what I can do with it I was wondering if anyone would like to have it. I can put it in an envelope and send it out. The only thing I would ask for would be a few feet or so of some natural colored (preferably) ABS (that you know dissolves) for me to make some ABS juice with. The ABS I have won't dissolve in Acetone (stays a gooey blob in the bottom of the jar). Hopefully someone is interested in tinkering around with this thing.

Just shoot me a PM and I can get it sent out if there are any takers.
jammer

Postby Winder » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:57 pm

This looks like the heating element for a soldering iron.
Winder

Postby jammer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:47 am

Winder wrote:This looks like the heating element for a soldering iron.

That would explain why I haven't been able to figure out where it would mount on the Ord Bot but the mystery is still how it ended up in one of the boxes shipped to me with my parts I ordered for the Ord Bot.

Thanks
jammer

Return to ORD Bot