Printer stops after a few layers

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Printer stops after a few layers

Postby keos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Guys so I having this problem; I am using Repetier for the ordbot
For some reason out of the blues the printer just stops after printing a few layers I tried this 3 times and it sopped at three different stages what could be the issue of this random stopping.
Attachments
image.jpg
3 parts
image.jpg
Repetier window
keos

Re: Printer stops after a few layers

Postby cozmicray » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Read out shows "External reset"
Looks like your PC is getting a USB reset somehow.
Is your USB hook up on a hub? is it a powered hub?
Is a AC power fluctuating some how?

:o
cozmicray

Postby keos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Cosmicray; is connected directly to the laptop

Keos
keos

Postby keos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:53 pm

So i have been reading online about this issue, (tonight I will try this) and what i found out is the following ( electromagnetic problems between cables being close to each other causing interference )
I have my USB cable zip-tied to my power cable, so i will try to separate them and see what happens.... Also they mentioned to use a USB with a ferrite...

Any thoughts on this conclusion........

Keos
keos

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Moving the cable is a start, quite easy to do and costs nothing, and it often cures the problem, but for some of us it wasn't enough. Not even a good, short shielded USB cable with several ferrite cores helped me against the wrath of the compressor of my fridge. But it's worth a try: as I said, in many cases moving the cable away from power and stepper cables was all that was needed. Also, plug the printer and the PC in the same power strip, if not already so -- can't hurt, and may help a little.
cvoinescu

Postby keos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 pm

C; thankx will try that tonight, and will let you all know..

Keos
keos

Postby keos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:48 am

So I tried what I said I was going to do and it did not work I still get pauses while it prints
See image I took of repetier window were it stoped
Guys what could be the issue could it be that the computer is old..
The laptop is about 7 years old and the only thing I am running on this machine is the printer and nothing else...

Keos
Attachments
image.jpg
keos

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Laptops are a slightly different beast. Some have strange power management that happens in the background. Might try running it from a different computer entirely to see if it's that. It's easy enough to do if you have an actual desktop system available, and will eliminate one potential factor.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby evil2002usna » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 am

I started another post on this same issue about a week ago. There are already some responses in that post that you can look at, however, I can tell you what I have found and done so far that has resulted in no changes whatsoever.

http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2301

-Replaced USB cable with 1.5' shielded usb cable with ferrite core.
-Replaced power supply twice. Currently running 24V 18amp power supply from Meanwell. Running heated bed as well.
-Checked hot end and heated bed connections. Even hardwired them directly to the Azteeg X3.
-Tried adjusting settings in Repetier Host (Baud Rate, Cache Size, send and receive options)
-Tried running repetier host from both newer PC and Mac. Mac performs better but same issue happens eventually.
-Run directly from an SD card.
-Tried Pronterface
-Ran different STL Files
-Ran the machine with no heated bed or extruder setup in Marlin.
-Checked PC for all energy saving mode. I even stayed active on the PC and saw it shut down.
-Tried multiple outlets in the house. Plugged the machine into its own outlet and plugged it into the same outlet that my PC is connected to. In both instances I avoided turning on or off any electrical devices on the same circuit.
-Just replaced extruder motor.

These are all the recommendations I have seen from multiple websites from around the internet. You may have luck with one of those recommendations, but I am still having the issue and I have had my printer for around 4-5 months now. I saw in the post for the Azteeg X3 that one of the users bypassed on the onboard FTDI chip on the Azteeg and is using a straight RS232 serial connection. I am in the process of trying this. I have had to purchase a PCI express serial board from Newegg and an RS-232 to TTL converter from Sparkfun. I am not even sure how to hook it up correctly, but I am running out of solutions to resolve this problem. I hope you have better luck than I have.
evil2002usna

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 am

evil2002usna wrote:-Run directly from an SD card.

But with the USB still connected, right? It's an important difference.
cvoinescu

Next

Return to ORD Bot