NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Joeblow, Evil2002usna, can you please point me to that extruder on eBay?
cvoinescu

Postby roflmao » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Hey Catalin,

that's what you are looking for 251342909055
roflmao

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Thank you. It's lovely, but quite expensive!
cvoinescu

Postby joeblow » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:29 am

So any thoughts on the power issues? It seems related. Can a PC power supply do the job? Solo or does it need help?
joeblow

Postby joeblow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:38 pm

So I bought a larger power supply from E-Bay that is for a server which puts out more power than I will ever need, 12V @ 69AMPS! As soon as I hooked it up ALL my weird stepper issues with Z and heaters all on are gone. So if anybody is having issues with weird motion when the heaters are on then I would consider the power supply.

While I have passed that hurdle I am still having extruder issues which I am convinced is settings. I can manually feed but when I attempt to extrude for a print the extruder does not feed in the small steps, only when retracting and feeding does it really move. The actual printing feed is not working. The stepper is working but not in those small steps. Any thoughts? Anybody have some recomendations on settings? The Stepper is a NEMA 11 geared 19.2:1 ratio, direct drive with a 12.25mm OD drive gear and a 1.8deg step angle.

This is the ONLY thing holding me back right now!
Last edited by joeblow on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeblow

Postby cozmicray » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:25 am

Have you done an extruder calibration?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Calibration

http://cisana.net/extruder-calibration/

Make a mark 100mm above extruder on filament
extrude 100mm
measure
adjust extruder steps

:D
cozmicray

Postby joeblow » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm

I have calibrated but not from this set of instructions. I will go over it again.

The thing that has me troubled is that the manual feed works fine, but only after playing with the mm/min rate setting on the manual tab of RepetierHost. If I turn the power on the Polino up or down I have to readjust the mm/min rate to get the feed to work again. I can get it to feed & extrude 100mm just fine but when I go to print the motor just seems to stall except when the layer goes up and it retracts and refeeds. The only way I can get ANY constant feed during a print is if I manually adjust the rate and feed to the max levels in RepetierHost but even then the amount being extruded is much less than needed for the test print. I know this is no longer a power issue because even with everything on full (heaters and fans etc.) the printer is very stable and can run very slow or fast speeds without issue.

I assume that the Polino power output should not be significantly more than required for the rest of the axis, correct? The extruder is a Nema 11 with a 19.2 reduction drive so I would think it would need LESS power than a Nema 17?

I am starting to wonder if the Polino and/or Arduino/Ramps are not working right for the extruder section only?

As a side note I am using Sli3er and the ArrowX as a test piece. I have adjusted the Sli3er settings to my fillement etc...

Thanks for your continued help guys!
joeblow

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:54 pm

What's a Polino?

You should not need to adjust the extrusion rate once you've calibrated it. Most likely, your stepper motor is skipping steps. You may have said what filament diameter you're using; if it's 3 mm, the 19.2 : 1 on a NEMA11 may not be enough, especially if it's a short NEMA11 motor. Consider that the Wade extruder uses approximately 5 : 1 gearing with a NEMA17, and with a much smaller effective diameter of the filament drive wheel (around 7 mm), so it gets about half of the mechanical advantage of your configuration, but with a much more powerful motor.

As for how much power it needs, I don't know. The current for your NEMA11 could be higher or lower than a NEMA17, depending on the windings. The power would be much lower, but you adjust the current, which may well be the same. Generally speaking, though, I'd expect it to be lower, but you should check the datasheet of the motor and adjust it accurately to get the most out of your motor.
cvoinescu

Postby joeblow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Well I guess I need help with the set-up for this extruder. Can anybody help with the Config-H settings for this and any other setting I should adjust? Here is all the info I can gather:

Step angle = 1.8deg
Positional accuracy = +/-5%
Number of phases = 2
Temperature rise = 80C MAX
Rotor inertia = 18gcm2
Holding TQ = 1.2 Kg.cm
Rated current/Phase Amps DC = 0.67
Phase Resistance ohms = 9.2
Rated Voltage/Phase VDC = 6.2
Phase Inductance mH = 7.2
Gear Ratio = 19.2
Efficiency = 72%
Max permissible TQ (Nm) = 3.0
Moment Permissible TQ (Nm) = 5.0

Filament = ABS 1.75mm
Extruder head = All metal J-Head
Feed Gear OD = 12.25mm

This is the extruder I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-METAL-STATE ... 27d83d7b7a

Can somebody share a working firmware file with me to see if there is something buried in mine that is causing issues?

Thanks!
joeblow

Postby joeblow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Well after much investigation, as well as help from evil2002usna sharing his known working configuration.h file having the same extruder, I now know I have a hardware issue. Since the extruder was the issue I ended up putting the extruder settings on the 'X' axis and plugging it into that Pololu channel and low and behold it moves accurately and correctly with no buzz or clicking and jerkyness. I did the same by swapping the 'X' onto the 'E1' channel and the 'X' now exhibited the same jerky buzzy clicking issues as the extruder. I swapped Polulu boards and those are fine. It would seem that the extruder channel 1 on the RAMPS 1.4 is bad.

To verify this BEFORE buying another RAMPS 1.4, I would like to attempt to use the extruder 2 channel but I cant figure out how to do that being a nube with Arduino and all. Could somebody send me a configuration.h file that would be set-up to do this? I think I will be in business with this resolved.

Thanks in advance!!!
joeblow

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot