Printer stops after a few layers

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Printer stops after a few layers

Postby dave3d » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 pm

I am a relative newbie but I have had similar problems with Repetier stopping mid print, so much so that I now usually print direct from the SD card.I did not totally solve my problem but it was related to the USB lead. I am using Arduino Mega 2560/Ramps 1.4.

When I went through a USB hub that uses a mini USB connection from the PC, it happened quite often, regardless to whether the hub was powered or not. However using a normal USB A to B lead direct to the Arduino freezing occurred less often. I think the cause is the cable shielding. Best results were with a clear cable where the shielding can be seen inside.
dave3d

Postby keos » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Dave3d what is the difference between a cable that is see through or not the bottom line is the insides are the same correct
Keos
keos

Postby evil2002usna » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 pm

After posting earlier last week, I had what appears to be a breakthrough. I ended up disconnecting everything on my Azteeg X3 and was getting ready to bypass the usb completely and go to a pure serial connection through the J2 connector. After soldering on the breakout board, I decided to give myself a little bit extra space behind the board so I used two quarter inch spacers instead of one likeI had had before. Since I have done that I havent had a stop yet. I dont know if the wires I had ran behind the board were too close causing too much electrical noise, but since then everything has been great. Maybe it is something to try.
evil2002usna

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:51 pm

keos wrote:Dave3d what is the difference between a cable that is see through or not the bottom line is the insides are the same correct

With a see-through cable, you can see whether it's shielded or not, and whether the shield is properly connected to the connector shells. With an opaque cable, you don't know, and you can't see the connections. A lot of cheap cables aren't shielded; many have four wires loosely twisted together, which is very wrong (the data pair must be twisted on its own, but that costs more).
cvoinescu

Postby dave3d » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 pm

keos: of the half dozen or so USB cables that I tried, the most stable results were obtained with a cable that was made of clear plastic. The type where the metal braid screening can be seen inside. As cvoinescu explained very well, with cheaper cables you cannot see what is inside. The worst cable I tried was a thin mini USB type, probably no screening at all.

I also have an issue with my LCD screen breaking up. I have wrapped foil around the ribbon cables which has helped.

It all seems to be problems centered around noise/interference/screening.
dave3d

Postby keos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:11 am

guys the issue was solved by using my desck top PC instead of the laptop....

Thankx
Keos
keos

Previous

Return to ORD Bot