Jammer's Ord Hadron build - Help Appreciated

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Jammer's Ord Hadron build - Help Appreciated

Postby jammer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 am

flickerfly wrote:Yeah, my ABS extrusion tempertatures are much lower and on a small block like that, the heat won't have time to escape. The twist may simply be related to the whole things being warm enough to slide the layers around. I print ABS around 200C. It's early so I can't remember exactly.

Thanks Flicker. I will experiment with lower temps. It was weird that it was the bottom that was moving. I am also wondering if the bed was too warm as well.
jammer

Postby jammer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 am

DonaldJ wrote:What is your print speed?

You could try slowing it down, allowing a bit more time for the layers to cool. Or, you could print multiple copies, allowing more cooling time for each piece.

I can't tell if you're getting good layer adhesion. Is your layer height about half to 2/3rds the nozzle diameter? You may have to tweak that a bit, too.

My speeds are:

Perimeters: 40mm/s
Small perimeters: 30mm/s
External perimeters: 70%
Infill: 60mm/s
Solid Infil: 60mm/s
Top Solid Infill 50mm/s
Support material: 60mm/s
Bridges: 60mm/s
Gap fil: 20mm/s

First layer speed: 30%

Any thoughts on whether these are too fast? Also, is 120C too hot for the bed. I had read on one of these threads that the hotter the better for ABS but it was the bottom layer that was moving in a twisting motion a little as each layer was being printed.

I am using a .4mm nozzle and my first layer height is .2mm and the rest of the layers at .25mm. Sound right?
jammer

Postby DonaldJ » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:29 pm

jammer wrote:
Any thoughts on whether these are too fast? Also, is 120C too hot for the bed. I had read on one of these threads that the hotter the better for ABS but it was the bottom layer that was moving in a twisting motion a little as each layer was being printed.

I am using a .4mm nozzle and my first layer height is .2mm and the rest of the layers at .25mm. Sound right?

The speed seems reasonable and your layer height seems fine, but try going a little lower and see if that works. You'll get better "squishing" for the layer adhesion.

Your bed temperature sounds high to me; try lowering it in ten degree increments. Don't trust the temperature that your software indicates. Use some kind of thermometer to measure the actual bed temperature if you can. When I set my bed temp to 110c, the IR thermometer indicates 125+ in the center of the bed, so I adjust the temperature downward until I get close to an actual 110c.
DonaldJ

Postby jammer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 pm

DonaldJ wrote:
The speed seems reasonable and your layer height seems fine, but try going a little lower and see if that works. You'll get better "squishing" for the layer adhesion.

Do you mean lowering the speed or layer height?
jammer

Postby flickerfly » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:10 am

I think he means layer height, probably try 0.1mm at a time. Also, bed level can be a part of that so you may want to check the bed level to be certain first.
flickerfly

Postby DonaldJ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:34 am

Yes, layer height.
DonaldJ

Postby jammer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:37 am

DonaldJ wrote:Yes, layer height.

Thanks. I will give that a try.
Here are a couple of pics of my first successful print:
AntiZwobble1.jpg

AntiZwobble3.jpg

Update:
My latest issue revolves around accurate temp readings from my extruder thermister. I set my extruder to 225C and then measured with this IR temp gun from Home Depot:

tempgun.JPG

All I have to say is don't buy this temp gun. I couldn't get it to read anything above 45C no matter how I pointed it at the hotend or nozzle. At one point I started believing it and so I gently touched the hotend. A tip for those who find themselves in this position. Don't trust the temp gun. A blister later I decided to put the temp gun down and get out my Thermapen I use for measuring meat temps while cooking. That thing is crazy accurate. So I put the tip into one of the small holes in the E3D hotend and it measures the temp at 208C so it looks like my thermister is saying the hotend is about 17C hotter than it is. I ended up using an extra thermister that came with my helios heated bed that happened to have insulated leads. On the panucatt site it says the thermisters are Epcos 100K so I have my repetier firmware set to type 1 extruder thermister. I will wire a pigtail on the thermister that came with the E3D hotend and see if that is more accurate.
jammer

Previous

Return to ORD Bot