Gantry ends for the 2.x

CNC/Laser Related Items Only Please

Gantry ends for the 2.x

Postby Cap'n Ron » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone besides me need the gantry ends? I never seem to be able to get the parts when they become available. I'm having the same problems that others are - getting someone to either bend the gantry ends or teach me how to do it. The prices the local shops here want for small builds of parts ranges from $75 for each end piece (without the Iridite coating), up to 350 dollars for either end completely finished. I found a shop that quoted a price of $50 and change for the finished pair, but has a minimum build quantity of 25 sets. Has anyone found a better price? If not, I may just go ahead and order the parts and try to sell off the extras. ( I moved this post here after putting it in the wrong category-RB)
Cap'n Ron

Re: Gantry ends for the 2.x

Postby Enraged » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 pm

At $50 or so, I would buy a set simply to have them on hand whenever I need them. It seems the rest of the parts are easier to have made, but the bent metal parts are the most difficult.

If you are considering buying a batch to sell, maybe consult with Bart about his source? Maybe he would be willing to put you in contact.
Enraged

Postby cpdude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:25 pm

I've had one of Barts first ten kits 2.x lasers up and working for a long time now. I've also got a working 3d printer. There is a workable design for the left plate (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47407). I believe this can be printer well. However, I have not seen anything that will print well for the right plate. I believe the stepper motor bracket would need to be bolted to the other part of the plate to work well. That means the right plate would need to be in two pieces. Does someone want to try some printed brackets? If so I'm willing to spent some time designing and printing.

Regards,
Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Postby derpstar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I need them , so I would certainly kick in for reasonable fab costs.
derpstar

Postby cpdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Just cover shipping and I'll be fine. But let's see how they come out first!

Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Postby cpdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:55 pm

It looks like I can print the right gantry plate in three pieces. The pieces would then be "glued" together the ABS glue (ABS desolved in Acetone).

@derpstar - Do you have a preference for color? I've got red, white, black & natural.

Brian
cpdude

Postby derpstar » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Black is fine. I was going to ask bdring for the files and look to have the parts fabricated, but printed will do in a pinch. Thanks! let me know costs etc...
derpstar

Postby cpdude » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:16 pm

@derpstar - Sorry for the long delay in responding. I forgot to check "Notify me when a reply is posted". :oops: So I printed some parts however I'm not very happy with them. I feel they are too flexible and the holes for the eccentric are too soft. I think I'll give them a try in PLA. I'm doing several things at the moment so it won't be done quickly. ;)

Brian
cpdude

Postby derpstar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:59 pm

no worries, I have been looking at having them fabricated, but they are low in my task queue at the moment...
derpstar

Postby rsm5178 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I am having one set of gantry ends, z table lift plates, and lens carriage plates cut & bent for myself (along with all the ORD Bot Hadron plates... because I'm feeling ambitious).

I can update on the price when I get them later this week if it would help anyone. They are mill finish.

-Rich
rsm5178

Next

Return to For Sale and Wanted