Ord Bot underrated?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Ord Bot underrated?

Postby rocketwiz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:19 am

I originally got mine in 2012 but then after finishing it life got in the way :o and finally only got it going recently :D. Built it with the QU-BD extruder like everyone else as well.

In the meantime though I collected upgrades along the way (Bart's extruder mod, proper mk8 gear, anti wobble and recently a new full smart lcd screen (still to arrive)). I also used spaceloft as insulation for the heated bed (the wheels under the carriage started getting hot even with cork) which works absolutely great (I'm only using this stuff in the future).

I was really surprised when my first test print came out really well, not perfect but pretty damn good for a first go using just recommended settings and ABS filament. And no print jam so far (I've also got a ptfe lined tube to swap out the original when I start using PLA).

So anyway, don't see the OB much in the news any more, which is a shame as it's a really decent printer with pretty good print volume.
rocketwiz

Re: Ord Bot underrated?

Postby evil2002usna » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:19 am

I have had mine for over a year now. It has its good days and its bad. I think why you don't see alot talked about is because it is starting to show its age. There are new printers and new printer technology coming out that is more innovative, reliable, and cheaper than the ord bot mechanical kit. Other printer iterations such as the Prusa have always had a larger following and thus consistent upgrades have become available as where the ord bot has not.
evil2002usna

Postby rocketwiz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:02 am

What other upgrades can be made to the OB to improve accuracy and consistency (other than maybe proper z leadscrews)?

But I guess you're right, in fact I'm looking at putting together a corexy printer (originally planned to replicate the delta ord bot, but decided a corexy can easily be scaled up to a 300x300 print area.
rocketwiz

Postby orcinus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:59 am

Biggest impacts on quality (in order of impact, descending) from stock:

- proper couplers (must be drilled concentric and of clamp-type)
- *good* hotend (you wouldn't believe how much nozzle geometry can impact your print)
- lead screws
- *good* steppers (until you try an expensive 0.9 degree stepper instead of the cheap chinese crap, you won't believe how quiet and smooth they are - 0.9 so you can drop the microstepping a notch and get more current, which will reduce the microstepping artifacts)

This is what i'm getting with E3D and Arcol.hu hotends and the above:

orcinus

Postby rocketwiz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 am

That's what I'm aiming for!

1) Got those (and the anti wobble plates as well).
2) Which one do you prefer (E3D or Arcol). I see the E3D is quite a bit cheaper.
3) Seriously considering TR8*8 screws but will have to print mounts for the nuts to attach to the gantry.
4) 0.9 deg stepper on the extruder or all round? Do they work with the standard 4988 type ramps drivers. I posted a pics of artifacts on my prints which I'm thinking are the result of the stepper resolution of the qu-bd mbe.
rocketwiz

Return to ORD Bot