Have you ordered from Misumi?

General discussion of laser machines

Have you ordered from Misumi?

Postby twehr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Like some of you, I have been waiting for the complete BOM on v2.x laser so that I could get the largest possible single order for Misumi parts and take advantage of their 30% first-time buyer discount. Today, I tried to order and was told that, unless you are willing to open a business account (full Dunn & Bradstreet report required) but want to use a CC instead, your discount is NOT applied to the first order. Rather, it is a credit that you will receive to use toward some future purchase. Personally, I do not like giving out financial info when it is not necessary, and I believe they have not real need to have it. I don't do business on open accounts - I use cash or CC.

It is all spelled out on their site, albeit well hidden.

Has anyone here ordered from Misumi and taken advantage of the 30% first-time buyer discount? Did you get the discount on your first CC order or did you have to open a business account to take advantage of it?
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Re: Have you ordered from Misumi?

Postby hoda0013 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

I ordered from Misumi using a credit card and received a 30% credit toward my next purchase. I did not need to open a business account to do so. I split my order up so that I ordered most of the stuff on my first order and bought the rest of what I needed on the second. Shipping will be more expensive if you are shipping extrusion, so you may want to order all or your extrusion on the first order and then all of the fasteners on the second order rather than some extrusion on both orders.
hoda0013

Postby twehr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:17 pm

hoda0013 wrote:I ordered from Misumi using a credit card and received a 30% credit toward my next purchase. I did not need to open a business account to do so. I split my order up so that I ordered most of the stuff on my first order and bought the rest of what I needed on the second. Shipping will be more expensive if you are shipping extrusion, so you may want to order all or your extrusion on the first order and then all of the fasteners on the second order rather than some extrusion on both orders.

Sounds like one solution. The draw back it that they won't issue the credit till the end of the month in which the first order was placed. So I order tomorrow (3/1) and, to use the credit, I can't order the remaining parts until sometime in April.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby hoda0013 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Maybe contacting a sales rep and explaining your situation would help. I have found their sales staff to be very helpful.
hoda0013

Postby twehr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

hoda0013 wrote:Maybe contacting a sales rep and explaining your situation would help. I have found their sales staff to be very helpful.

I got all the info I have direct from the rep. Said they have been doing it this way for 21 years. She said she would ask if they could accept check of some kind, and hold shipment till cleared, and MAYBE get the discount that way.

For my order, we are only talking about $60 or so. Not a huge deal. I just like companies that are really open and honest about their "offers". Also wanted to make sure everyone here understands how it really works before they place orders. I am still going to place this order with them. If I don't need the future discount, maybe I can share it with someone else. BTW- you have one year to use the discount before it disappears, as well.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby bdring » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:54 pm

If I had the time, I would think about putting together a pitch to them about offering us a discount. They have this offer in place to generate new customers. Most buildlog.net people are new customers. 8020 eats their lunch in the DIY and CNC market. This is a good chance for them to get into this market. Most of us are also professionals. We will take Misumi to work with us too. I have used 8020 for years at work. After getting a taste of Misumi and their way better prices, customer service and delivery, I have converted some work projects from 8020 to Misumi. Bottom line, buildlog.net is a huge free advertisement for Misumi. Up to today, no one has ever said a bad thing about them on this forum. Having a fixed kit of part numbers might appeal to them too.

If anyone wants to take the lead on this and has good powers of persuasion, please contact me. I can give you a buildlog.net email address to add some cred.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:02 pm

bdring wrote:If I had the time, I would think about putting together a pitch to them about offering us a discount. They have this offer in place to generate new customers. Most buildlog.net people are new customers. 8020 eats their lunch in the DIY and CNC market. This is a good chance for them to get into this market. Most of us are also professionals. We will take Misumi to work with us too. I have used 8020 for years at work. After getting a taste of Misumi and their way better prices, customer service and delivery, I have converted some work projects from 8020 to Misumi. Bottom line, buildlog.net is a huge free advertisement for Misumi. Up to today, no one has ever said a bad thing about them on this forum. Having a fixed kit of part numbers might appeal to them too.

If anyone wants to take the lead on this and has good powers of persuasion, please contact me. I can give you a buildlog.net email address to add some cred.

Hope everyone understands. I am not badmouthing them. I simply did not dig deep enough to fully understand their offer so I had certain expectation. If they had been a bit more up front with the offer, I would have no beef with them whatsoever.

I am sure their product is great and it looks like they can deliver in good time. The goal is to make sure nobody else misunderstands.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby r691175002 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 am

I actually forgot to ask for the discount when I placed my order.

I didn't really care though because I didn't budget for it and I was aware that it would be applied to future orders. At the time I didn't anticipate reordering so it wasn't a huge loss and considering the amounts we are spending building lasers it is fairly trivial.

Either way, misumi's prices are already great, and they have been very helpful and friendly so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them regardless of the discounts being offered.

I do think the offer is fair. I sometimes feel bad ordering catalogs and technical samples from companies because the chances are they will have a hard time even breaking even on me.
r691175002

A solution

Postby twehr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:51 pm

OK. I placed my order by CC and used the code and they will credit me with the 30% for my next order. That is how they said it would be. Maybe the need to use the credit will spur me to build a CNC router or something else I have been putting off.

After I placed the order, I got an email that told me that IF I called their customer support and offered to pay by check and was willing to wait for the check to arrive and clear before they ship, they would give the 30% on this first order. They mentioned the possibility of that yesterday but could/would not confirm it. So, I just ordered and that is that.

If anyone wants to get the 30% on their first order without setting up a business account, call Customer Support and ask for the 30% by using a check and waiting. If your order is big enough, it may be worth it.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Chankster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Did anyone have a problem with shipping? I ordered parts using the "SHIP COMPLETE" option and yet today I got an invoice/tracking with only 1 item on it. :?:
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Next

Return to General