max power for the home built laser cutters here

General discussion of laser machines

max power for the home built laser cutters here

Postby sandog_79 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 pm

I was wondering what the max power was that these machines can use. I see most people are using 40w~60w but I am looking at building one but would like to use a 150w tube? any ideas or thoughts on this.

Michael
sandog_79

Re: max power for the home built laser cutters here

Postby J45on » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 pm

I took this snapshot from love-happyshopping's ebay page
It gives you an idea of the different tube lengths for power
J45on

Postby trwalters001 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 pm

You can put one on as big as you can afford.

However... that 100W is 6 feet long...

And, if you goof with 100+ watts (and/or its power supply), you may have a SERIOUS problem. :shock:

Like losing a much-wanted appendage. Or burning your house down. Or frying yourself (or someone else) to a crackly crunch.

I'm not saying you would do any of those things but the margin for error gets pretty small the higher power/voltage you go.

Also, your cost for high-power-rated mirrors and lenses goes up too.

Your cooling requirements will also be more critical (and costly).

You said "home-built". What are you needing to cut with that much power AT YOUR HOUSE?

Tim
trwalters001

Postby r691175002 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:21 pm

There isn't any reason why you cannot drop a 150W tube into these designs with minor modifications but I would be hesitant for a few reasons.

Primarilly, you are paying at least 1800$ and probbably closer to 2800$ for a tube and power supply. This is approaching serious money and you want to get a serious machine for your trouble.

Do you really want to drop that kind of cash for a 20"x16" diy laser cutter? Being realistic, when you are using plastic wheels on glued v-rail aligned by eye and positioned by 1/4" timing belts, accuracy and speed are never going to be stellar. You are dropping big bucks on a machine intended to be as cheap as possible.

For that kind of money I'd try to emulate some of the better diy router designs. At the minimum I'd want actual linear rails and way thicker extrusions. I'd also get some higher end optics. Since building something like this is a major undertaking it is likely more economic to buy a full machine. I'd at least want the experience of building a solid router before trying something like this.
r691175002

Postby yuchan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Wouldn't it still be economical? An equivalent, commercial 150w laser would cost 50k+, no?

Er - I'm not talking about the 2.x design, but the larger DIY lasers found here.
yuchan

Return to General