Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Post your build logs here

Re: Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Postby edmond22 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Got 3 stepper motors today, they are all single shaft though the guy had a few double shafted ones but they were a different make and specs they also had a MXL timing pulley on one side and a flywheel/resonance damper on the other side the only specs they had on them was 6.2 ohms. I might get 2 of the double shaft and another single shaft one, maybe I can make the double shaft one work otherwise i will just use 2 motors on the y axis and slave them in Mach 3, but then I need a 4 axis stepper driver.
The specs on the 3 motors I got are as follows:
2.6V
1.2A
1.8 degree step angle
44oz/in holding torque
6 wire
They also came with 20 tooth MXL timing pulleys on them a real bonus, I hope they work and that the torque isn't too low.
Attachments
30042011109.jpg
stepper motors
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:26 am

I managed to slit the 20mm x 1900mm MXL open ended timing belt in 3 pieces 6.5mm wide.
I made a little jig which has a 2 different slots to place a blade in to accomodate the 1st and 2nd cut and then made 2 bottom pieces of the jig with a 20mm groove and a 13.5mm groove.
The jig worked a treat, only took about 2 minutes to slit the belt, I found the idea for the jig on a old reprap blog post.
I also checked to make sure that the pulleys that my steppers came with are actually MXL units, the belt meshes perfectly in them.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 pm

I made some of the V rails from 6mm acrylic jigging them up and then cutting the bevel with a 45degree router bit, they came out awesome.
I finally sold my CNC Router so have some funds for this build, so Im ordering the following shortly:
40W Laser Tube and Power Supply - CNCColetech or lovehappyshopping
Extrusions - RScomponents(Bosch Rexroth Units in 3000mm lengths)
Polulu A4988 drivers from ultimachine.com
Polulu Driver Board Rev2 from Bart when they are available along with a few other goodies
Optics Kit from Lightobject
Fasteners from Boltfast
24V 6.5A Power Supply from Mantech Electronics
Attachments
17052011127.jpg
y v rails
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 pm

I got some more Nema 17 stepper motors free from my local stepper supplier unfortunately he only still has the 6.2ohm double shaft ones, I think these will be too weak to drive both sides of the Y axis.
I might use a motor on either side of the Y axis or mount one at the back and synch the front pulleys with a long shaft as suggested by Bart supported with a bearing in the middle somehow to prevent the shaft whiping maybe use some 6mm linear slide rod if I can find some.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Got the fasteners today, cost me the equivalent of $24 luckily I have a fastener place just around the corner from my work that has all the types of fasteners at very reasonable prices, busy sorting them out now and see they forgot to pack the M3 x 12mm socket head cap screws and the M8 T nuts :(
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 am

Z axis belt has been ordered from Econobelt, I ordered 2 of them since no one in SA stocks then.
Big up to Bart for letting me have Econobelt ship them to his address, unfortunately they only had 1 in stock so it might be up to a week before they ship.
I had them ship the belts UPS 3 day select as they don't dosplay shipping costs so this one sounded the most reasonable one.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Mirror and Lens Kit along with the Digital Current Meter have been ordered from lightobject now.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Timing belts are scheduled for delivery to Barts address, that way everything can be shipped in one go saving additional shipping costs to SA.
Bearings were ordered locally today and should be delivered tomorrow.
Aluminium profiles,brackets and T nuts will be ordered by the latest early next week along with the laser tube and power supply.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

got the bearings today and ups delivered the z axis belts to Bart.
I have ordered a rev 3 interface/driver from Bart along with a few other goodies so that should be on its way soon
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 pm

The Aluminium extrusions and brackets were ordered last night, they shpuld be here next week unfortunately the supplier is out of stock of the T nuts until 04 July so I might see if I can get them somewhere else.
I ordered the Bosch Rexroth strut profiles in 3000mm lengths, its all I can get locally, I also ordered 70 corner brackets which come with T nuts and screws.

I plan on ordering the Laser Tube and PS from love-happyshopping tomorrow
edmond22

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs