Assembly questions

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Assembly questions

Postby quadmasta » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 am

I'll keep a running list of assembly questions here for both myself and future 2.x builders.

1a. On the cover, the plans say to use a M5x10mm flat head machine screw but the hardware kit came with pan head screws. Is this the right type?
1b. Using the above screw, the screw bottoms out in the extrusion before the hinge is tight. What's up with that?
quadmasta

Re: Assembly questions

Postby bdring » Thu May 26, 2011 11:20 am

The hardware kit should have included flat head screws specially for that hinge. They are on the packing list. If you did not receive them they must have fallen out of the bag...possibly here. Regardless, I can send new screws.

I am unaware of any "Pan Head M5x10mm" screws. Those are not on the list. Can you send a picture of that screw?
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby quadmasta » Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 am

Bart,
I guess I had my terminology wrong. The screws I tried to use are flat on the top and the head tapers down to the shank. There were 8 in the bag so I definitely have the wrong part. I'll dig through the parts more when I get home tonight.

I have another question as well.
In trying to follow the frame assembly instructions I had to take stuff back apart a lot due to the fact the table with the extra nuts didn't cover the nuts used to attach one piece to another. I totally understand the idea of wanting to leave out the count for parts like the end pieces where you don't need to account for the nuts that hold the assembly together, but it kind of falls apart when a piece will connect to another further along in the assembly process. I think it would be helpful to take a count of all of the nuts except the ones used for specifically installing that piece rather than exclude all of the nuts where two extrusions join, for example part 5 lists only needing 4 extra nuts on top when part 8 needs to screw into a 5th nut. I think the confusion is compounded when parts aren't installed subsequently. What do you think of this idea?
quadmasta

Postby Chankster » Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Sorry for the bad pic, but this is what it should look like. From your description it sounds like you have the correct screw. Remember that the hinges will be attached on top of the skins which should take up the extra screw length.
photo(4).JPG
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby quadmasta » Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Duh, I forgot about the skins. Thanks for pointing that out!
quadmasta

Postby bdring » Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 pm

The skins would have been my second guess. The 20mm extrusions are great but the depth of the slot is shallow, so the difference between too short and too long on a screw is about 2mm. It has frustrated me a few times.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby quadmasta » Thu May 26, 2011 1:21 pm

How about the other question?
quadmasta

Postby awesomenesser » Thu May 26, 2011 1:53 pm

I finished assembly of the frame a few days ago and ran into the exact same problems you had. I think it would make sense to list all the t nuts that will be needed for the next steps. Such as when you are assembling the sides some of the channels will be locked so you need to have all the tnuts in place that you will need for the following steps. I also noticed a few of the orientations that were rotated or flipped. Right now I believe I have everything correct but I will be unsure until I complete the whole thing. I am planning on going through and making my own table that shows you all of the tnuts that will be needed. I might also do something like contain both numbers and use brackets to display the total number needed.

example for (2b right):
cell contents: "0 [1]" ==> 0 extra pieces [1 pieces total] ==> explaining that there are no spares but you will need one for a later frame member

I might also put "not closed" in cells that are not locked yet so you don't need to worry about it yet like the outside corners.
awesomenesser

Postby bdring » Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm

I am willing to incorporate any ideas you may have into the documentation or even create a separate document for just building the frame. Without building a frame from scratch myself, I can't guaranty an accurate job of it.

If this is a show stopper for you I will order a set of parts today and build a frame for the sole purpose of improving documentation. It will take about a week to get the parts complete the effort.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby quadmasta » Thu May 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Once I'm done with assembly, I'll take everything off except what's shown in the diagram in the manual and take notes of everything and where they are. I'm sure other members would be willing to help do this as well.
quadmasta

Next

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.