Assembly questions

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Re: Assembly questions

Postby awesomenesser » Thu May 26, 2011 5:31 pm

I will go ahead and put some documentation together tonight. My frame should be correct I went though all the drawings to make sure I have all the tnuts correct.
awesomenesser

Postby BenJackson » Thu May 26, 2011 9:21 pm

See my comment here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=545 about the orientation of the Big Tnut Table.

I also just found two missing entries in the table: Pieces "4" and "5" (mid rails on the bottom) each need 1 tnut on the bottom for the bottom skin.

EDIT: More comments on the frame instructions:

Should note that the V-rails are not shown and require a few Tnuts not in the table (or consider those frame members that aren't shown for inclusion in the table).

Another missing table entry for "5": It shows 4 top (for Z lift) but should show 2 more (6 total) for the belt tensioner.

Also 6a should have 2 on top for the laser.

The gantry assembly calls for 4 post-assembly tnuts, 2 each for the limit and the idler. They are required for spacing. You can actually use one post-assembly and one slide-in nut in each case, saving 2 post-assembly nuts if you are cheap (or have run yourself out of post-assembly nuts).

EDIT AGAIN:

A missing entry for "8": Should have 2 nuts on the "right" (right of the illustration to match other table entries, left of the finished machine, see my link above) for the Y motor mount.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN:

A missing entry for "14": Should have 2 on the rear for the cover microswitch.
Last edited by BenJackson on Sat May 28, 2011 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
BenJackson

Postby quadmasta » Fri May 27, 2011 1:04 am

I started doing a little more tonight and decided I felt like assembling the z lifts. I pulled all of the plastic parts out of their bags and there's only 7 parts that match B17005-001. Is one supposed to have elongated holes and be dissimilar? I only saw one drawing and they all look the same. In twehr's thread all of his look the same.

Also, I only have 2 8" threaded rods. In twehr's thread he's got 3 that look similar and one that's longer. I have 2 8" 2 10" and 2 13 1/8" Which are supposed to be used?

Is the end of the rod supposed to be put all the way through the pulley so the tip is flush? Is there a recommended torque setting for the set screw? Is the nylock nut supposed to be locking end down on top of the bottom bearing holder?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
quadmasta

Postby BenJackson » Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 am

quadmasta wrote:I started doing a little more tonight and decided I felt like assembling the z lifts. I pulled all of the plastic parts out of their bags and there's only 7 parts that match B17005-001. Is one supposed to have elongated holes and be dissimilar? I only saw one drawing and they all look the same. In twehr's thread all of his look the same.

Also, I only have 2 8" threaded rods. In twehr's thread he's got 3 that look similar and one that's longer. I have 2 8" 2 10" and 2 13 1/8" Which are supposed to be used?

Is the end of the rod supposed to be put all the way through the pulley so the tip is flush? Is there a recommended torque setting for the set screw? Is the nylock nut supposed to be locking end down on top of the bottom bearing holder?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

One of the B17005-001 is replaced by the powered Z lift plate. This isn't in the instructions nor the Z-lift drawing, but you can see it in the system drawing.

I got 3 8" and 1 10" rod. The 10" is the one that goes in the rear left and accepts the powered Z kit. If you have an extra 10" you could cut it down or probably just let it run long on one of the other corners.

The rod should go through until flush with the pulley. I think that *is* in the instructions. If you do that the 8" rods will come out flush with the top of the top brackets. I paused for a moment when that worked out to consider the metric/US confluence. If you let it protrude from the pulley it will hit the bottom or at least prevent you from installing the belt.

You can make those setscrews pretty tight.

Yes, the nylock should lock down on the bearing. If it doesn't the threaded rod will climb the inner race and then fall down again as it rotates and go "clack clack clack".
BenJackson

Postby quadmasta » Fri May 27, 2011 1:42 am

So for the one the top is the motor plate and the bottom is the one that matches the others?
quadmasta

Postby Chankster » Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 am

Correct.
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby quadmasta » Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Bart what should I do about the longer threaded rods? I assume since the one on the motor lift plate is longer that the gantry won't hit it. Should i stick the other long one on the back right of the table?
quadmasta

Postby Chankster » Fri May 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Per the google doc
Install the Z lead screw assemblies in the locations indicated on the assembly drawing. The longer two rods go in the front right and the rear left.
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby bdring » Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 pm

The back left should longer for a Z motor lift. Recent kits may only have one longer rod.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby quadmasta » Fri May 27, 2011 2:14 pm

This line in the instructions should probably be change do that it matches the actual kit.
Z Lead Screws (build four)

Three assemblies use an 8” threaded rod and one uses a 10” threaded rod.

I totally didn't see the other part. Thanks for pointing that out.
quadmasta

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.