Assembly questions

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Re: Assembly questions

Postby awesomenesser » Sat May 28, 2011 2:04 am

Ok, I went through and made a new more detailed table. I looked at the 3d models and my frame for a long time and I do not believe I am missing anything (Although I am sure there are a few). I would recommend adding this document to the build instructions as a single landscape page with the assembly order diagram by itself on the previous page. This way users can print off the two pages and go to work building their frame.

The main difference that my table features is it tells you the total number of t-nuts in the channel and the number of loose t-nuts in the channel on the current step. There are also some other helpful instructions which should keep the user from messing little things up.

Here is the google doc link

Take a look at the file and let me know of any feedback you have. Also let me know if you think I have an error.
awesomenesser

Postby Tomi » Sat May 28, 2011 11:21 am

Hey all, first post for me…

I'm starting with the frame this weekend and will use both (yours and Barts) doc. Thanks to both of you for your work!

Of course I'll give feedback as soon as I have some news!

Greetings - Tomi
Tomi

Postby BenJackson » Sat May 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Vertical - These channels will be open, Install t-nuts as needed

So I thought, but when you reach the Y v-rail assembly you'll see that the vertical is actually blocked by other Tnuts. It's not a big deal to remove one Tnut and slide in an extra (no 2020 has to move) but it's still technically blocked.

I will count my frame and my notes against your sheet later today.
BenJackson

Postby awesomenesser » Sat May 28, 2011 7:09 pm

I forgot that you need a single t-nut in 1c and 1d on the inside. I have updated the sheet.
awesomenesser

Postby quadmasta » Sat May 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I started gluing my vrails today and started assembly of the laser carriage. In the drawings, the screw that has the eccentric nut on it calls for a pan head machine screw M5 x 45mm but the only thing I have in the hardware kit that's close is a socket head. Is this correct?
quadmasta

Postby BenJackson » Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 pm

I believe that's correct. The P/N is "SHMS" but the text description is "pan head" and the only 45mm M5 I had was in a bag which had the "pan head" sticker on it. I think I mentioned it also shows up that way in the drawing. I'm not sure if Bart updated that one.
BenJackson

Postby BenJackson » Sat May 28, 2011 9:13 pm

awesomenesser wrote:I forgot that you need a single t-nut in 1c and 1d on the inside. I have updated the sheet.

I'm working from an earlier version so I'll list all my edits just to be sure:

• 1a top = 2 loose (4 total)
  • 1c front = 1 loose (3 total) (v-rail)
  • 1d rear = 1 loose (3 total) (v-rail, and yes you can remove just one screw to get it in later, but it is trapped)
  • 3a left/front = 1 loose (1 total) (on the other end of the frame it attaches on top, not on front)
  • 8 - should just move the "special instructions" to the normal spot, it will be fully enclosed. I only get 1 loose left and 2 loose (3 total) right
  • 10 - left/front should be 1 loose (1 total) (the 1 is loose at this step still)
  • 11 - left/front should be 1/1 (also still loose at this step)

For the benefit of future builders: I bought 25 post-assembly T-nuts. Of the ones I've already used or know to be missing I have 6 left (only 4 if I had used all the post-assembly nuts called for in the plans on the gantry, but I managed to save 2). I did do minor disassembly a few times to get regular nuts in. Most of the ones I've needed have just been due to omissions in the table, so maybe you can get by with less but I wouldn't try it!
BenJackson

Postby awesomenesser » Sat May 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Here are the proposed changes and my fixes:

- What are these for? The system model does not include anything attached to those loose t-nuts? I have not made this change yet.

• 1c front = 1 loose (3 total) (v-rail)
- Changed

• 1d rear = 1 loose (3 total) (v-rail, and yes you can remove just one screw to get it in later, but it is trapped)
- Changed

• 3a left/front = 1 loose (1 total) (on the other end of the frame it attaches on top, not on front)
- I was wrong but shouldn't it be 1 loose [2 total] - Changed to 1 loose [2 total]

• 8 - should just move the "special instructions" to the normal spot, it will be fully enclosed. I only get 1 loose left and 2 loose (3 total) right
- You cant use the standard columns because they overlap (left and front are both needed...) - But I did make the changes

• 10 - left/front should be 1 loose (1 total) (the 1 is loose at this step still)
- Changed

• 11 - left/front should be 1/1 (also still loose at this step)
- Changed

The only thing that I haven't changed yet is the first correction because I don't understand what those t-nuts are used for.
awesomenesser

Postby BenJackson » Sat May 28, 2011 11:05 pm

awesomenesser wrote:Here are the proposed changes and my fixes:

- What are these for? The system model does not include anything attached to those loose t-nuts? I have not made this change yet.

Sorry, those were in the original doc and I installed them but I agree they don't go anywhere that I can see.

- I was wrong but shouldn't it be 1 loose [2 total] - Changed to 1 loose [2 total]

Yes.

And finally I'll repeat what I said earlier about orientation: It's odd that the table is front/rear from the front and left/right in the illustration which faces away from you.
BenJackson

Postby quadmasta » Sat May 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Another thing you should change: when looking at the drawing 2 is on the left and 1 is on the right. Your doc has them called by their old names still.

I've got my rail all glued up and waiting. I went through the doc and squared everything up and made sure the measured dims were correct. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get everything ready to start stringing timing belts. Does anybody know of a good source for hook-up wire that's got brick & mortar stores?
quadmasta

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.