Assembly questions

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Re: Assembly questions

Postby quadmasta » Sun May 29, 2011 2:19 am

I was looking at the idler installation instructions and each one looks like it needs 2 bearings. I've got 4 blocks that are the same and one block that's slightly smaller. I've only got 8 bearings so what gives?
quadmasta

Postby BenJackson » Sun May 29, 2011 3:22 am

quadmasta wrote:I was looking at the idler installation instructions and each one looks like it needs 2 bearings. I've got 4 blocks that are the same and one block that's slightly smaller. I've only got 8 bearings so what gives?

I asked for updates to those drawings here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=551

It looks like this shows the single bearing: http://www.buildlog.net/sm_laser/drawin ... _rev_3.pdf

He also updated the others so they show the modified plastic shapes.
BenJackson

Postby dirktheeng » Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Look at the parts a little more closely. If you have the right ones, there should be a difference in the depth of the counter bore on 2 of them. You should have 1 with a rounded top. That goes on the gantry with the x axis. 2 of them have corners cut off. They go in the front on the y axis. The other two should be fairly square and go at the back of the y axis and support the shafts that connect to the motors. The 3 that support idler pulleys without connecting to a shaft get 2 bearings each (thats six). The ones at the back of the y axis only get 1 each and the counter bore is set more shallow to support that. So there is supposed to be a total of 8 bearings with 5 bearing supports. The double bearings support shafts that are cantalevered out rather than a length of shaft connected to something else.
dirktheeng

Postby quadmasta » Sun May 29, 2011 7:53 pm

What fasteners are used to attach the Z lift plates to the frame? M5x12?

Here are my idler bearing plastics. If you notice the one next to the black one is exactly the same as the rest, it's just cut shorter on the top.
quadmasta

Postby BenJackson » Sun May 29, 2011 7:57 pm

quadmasta wrote:What fasteners are used to attach the Z lift plates to the frame? M5x12

M5x12 + #10 washer

Your pieces are (from left to right) the single-bearing idler (goes at the rear, supports the Y drive shaft), the double bearing idler (new version is notched on the corner, gets a bolt and a pulley, goes in the front of the Y rail) and the X idler (new version is rounded over on the top, gets a bolt and pulley)
BenJackson

Postby quadmasta » Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a drawing that shows the hardware used to clamp the belt to the laser carriage?
quadmasta

Postby quadmasta » Mon May 30, 2011 12:07 am

Is there cable carrier on both the X and Y axes? Does anybody have a picture of the wire management near the X motor?
quadmasta

Postby BenJackson » Mon May 30, 2011 12:08 am

quadmasta wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a drawing that shows the hardware used to clamp the belt to the laser carriage?

I asked for one here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=560 but I don't think Bart has added one yet. I mention what I used in that post. I installed mine upside-down on X in case I later pursue Dirk's extended Y travel mods.
BenJackson

Postby quadmasta » Mon May 30, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks again for the help. This is what's great about the open source community :)
quadmasta

Postby quadmasta » Mon May 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Does Bart's hardware kit include mounting screws/nuts for all of the electronic stuff? If not, does anybody know the size and pitch of the threads on the power supply that's listed on his "kits & parts" page?
quadmasta

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.