Skin CAD files

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Skin CAD files

Postby J45on » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I have tried two different companies now for a quote on getting the machine skins cut.
The first one emailed me back and asked what units the dxf files were in :? i told them mm, and inches for the cover window, I never heard back from them.
The second one never responded :evil:.
The only thing I changed on the dxf's ( with draftsight) was to remove the openings in the rear panel as these will be of no use to me as my laser sits flush to a wall and I renamed the files.
Could some one check my files are correct ? as I know next to nothing about CAD :oops:
Attachments
LaserCutterPanels.zip
(17.88 KiB) Downloaded 1420 times
J45on

Re: Skin CAD files

Postby bdring » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I don't use "Skin CAD", I usually use AutoCAD or DraftSight for DXF :D ... but I would love to give it a try.

The drawings look good. Several formats like DXF and STL don't have units so you need to tell the supplier. The drawings look OK to me, but the ones without any dimensions appear to be in inches too. I would suggest adding a reference dimension to each drawing and specify the units in a note right on the drawing. I will be updating the files within the next week for another reason and I will do that to the next rev.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby J45on » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Thank you Bart
I will keep an eye out for the updated drawings
J45on

Postby bdring » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 pm

I updated the files. The only thing I really did was add a second hole pattern for the end of the cable carrier on the bottom skin. Now you can mount it facing either way. I also added reference dimensions to all parts and specified that all units are in millimeters.

Note: All views are shinny side up.

Good luck finding a supplier. I tried several people in the US and they all wanted more than I sell them for and that was without the price of the material. I tried waterjet and router people. Your best bet is a DIY person who is willing to help out. If you find an amateur to do it, I can provide tips on cutting the material. There are a few tricks I learned.

"Bytes are free...I just sell bits"
.....bdring
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby StigOE » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 am

Are the skins supposed to be smaller than the actual length/width/height of the laser? I noticed that the length of the front skin is 998 mm while the length of the frame is 1000mm. Wouldn't it be better if the length of the front skin is 1006mm so it just covers the side skins and a height of either 316mm to cover top and bottom skin or 313mm to cover bottom skin instead of leaving gaps all over the place?

Stig
StigOE

Postby bdring » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:58 am

I just thought a consistent gap would look better. It is just a matter of preference though. I am personally very proud of the way it looks and am not planning to change it. Ben had some good suggestions too, but maybe on the next one.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby J45on » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks again Bart I am going to try to visit some firms with these :D
J45on

Postby BenJackson » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:43 pm

If you really wanted to save money you could skin the laser with some pre-primed or pre-finished Luan plywood and a few cuts on the table saw. One jig in the drillpress would let you put the mounting holes exactly where you need.
BenJackson

Postby J45on » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 pm

I did cut a sample of some generic aluminium composite on my table saw
And while I was able to cut it adequately I don't think I could manage to cut all the panels from a 8x4 sheet
J45on

Postby J45on » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 pm

I am getting nowhere trying to get my skins cut in the uk :(
One place I contacted today said they could do it but they need the files in PDS format :? ( what sort of large sign company that uses CNC routers does not have the ability to read industry standard DXF files :evil: )
I am sure they meant PDF , Can they be accurately cut from a PDF ?
I am on holiday for two weeks now and I was hoping to finish my 2.x in my time off work
J45on

Next

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.