Scroll-sawing, the EASY way

Show pictures of stuff you made

Scroll-sawing, the EASY way

Postby twehr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Many of you know that I have recently been pretty busy getting ready for a market where I was a vendor with some of my laser work. Thought I would share a few samples of the products I was making.

I am taking regular scroll saw patterns and using them with the laser as cut patterns. Works pretty nicely.

Here are a few sample of iconic portraits, some nightlights, and a clock.

Elvis.png

MM.png

Dancer.png

Flowers.png

Clock.png
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Re: Scroll-sawing, the EASY way

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Tim,

would you mind writing up something that describes how to take scroll saw patterns and make a cuttable laser file from them? This is something that I would be interested in doing. I do a lot of scroll saw work and inlay. I looked at a few things online but I am interested in what you do.
dirktheeng

Postby whmeade10 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Very nice work Tim. I especially like the night light shades. Hope all went well at the market you attended. :D

Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby twehr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:58 pm

dirktheeng wrote:Tim,

would you mind writing up something that describes how to take scroll saw patterns and make a cuttable laser file from them? This is something that I would be interested in doing. I do a lot of scroll saw work and inlay. I looked at a few things online but I am interested in what you do.

Will do soon (I hope). Have to finish a few custom orders from the weekend first.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:14 am

Those look great Tim. Do your customers know you built the laser yourself?

That reminds me of a blog post I did a while back regarding "hand crafted" in the digital age. I know it's all digital, but at some point, and I think you qualify, you can almost call it hand crafted again.

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2010/08/hand-made/
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 am

bdring wrote:Those look great Tim. Do your customers know you built the laser yourself?

That reminds me of a blog post I did a while back regarding "hand crafted" in the digital age. I know it's all digital, but at some point, and I think you qualify, you can almost call it hand crafted again.

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2010/08/hand-made/

Some know it. Most don't really care. They sometimes find it interesting, but they may also think that home built means they should not have to pay as much for the products I create. Perceptions are powerful, whether working for you or against you. I do emphasize that everything I do is done with a laser. That surprises and impresses them.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Converting Scroll Saw Patterns for Laser Cutting

Postby twehr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Dirk asked about the process I use to convert scroll saw patterns for use with the laser. Rather than writing up the steps for everyone to wade through, I thought it might be better to just do a quick video demo. So here is my first "Over the Shoulder Video" - just a demo with camera and audio running; no script; no fancy titles, but with enough meat that you can get started yourself.

Scroll saw patterns come in three varieties, paper (to scan in and convert), image files (already scanned by someone), and PDFs, which can be either vector or image based. This video is about getting the image file converted and ready to go. Later I will do one on PDFs and later still I will show you how to turn any portrait or photo into a scroll saw pattern.

Enough talk - here's the video:

tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Better watch out for the royalty police on those "iconic" photos of Elvis and Maryland. There is no such thing as "open source" on those photos.
lasersafe1

Return to Gallery