Hi all a few starter questions.

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Hi all a few starter questions.

Postby redskyrc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi, I am interested in building a 2.x laser. I am a radio control airplane hobbyist. I have been reading and downloading instructions and reading some more... I am most intimidated by the electrical part. Can someone show me some build logs with pictures or videos on how to hook up the electrical portion of the laser? I just want to make sure I willl be doing it correctly and safely. I have also been reading about voltmeters and checking on how to check continuity. Can someone send me some links to some electrical builds of the electronics bed? also how to wire it properly?
redskyrc

Re: Hi all a few starter questions.

Postby bdring » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:18 pm

First,

If you are not comfortable with electronics, this might not be the build for you unless you have a qualified friend who can review your work. You will be wiring AC line components and high voltage electrodes.

There are several ways to control you laser and they all have different electronic setups. If you only need the laser to do cutting then I recommend using Mach3 or EMC2 re. If you want to do detailed engraving, then you also might need a dedicated controller. Each has it's own electronics setup. I only sell stuff for the software based control, so see the schematic below.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... ber=D40006

This post has a nice picture of a completed electronic module

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=500&start=50#p3896
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby redskyrc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I am planning on doing cutting balsa and thin plywood up to 1/4" thick mainly. The only engraving to be done is very light part numbers engraved into balsa or lite plywood. I think mach3 would work wonderfully. I really want to do this and I'm willing to post my steps onto the build log. I'm confident that I can do this, given good enough illustrations and instructions.

Is there a way I can buy the electronics on the "electronics Module" pre-wired?
redskyrc

Postby bdring » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:35 pm

The electronics module is only part of the overall wiring. You still need to wire the the switches and the laser power supply.

This is not intended to be a turn key system. I would suggest a Full Spectrum Engineering Laser or eBay Chinese laser.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion