Gluing Vrail onto extrusion?

Bearings/Motors/Belts/Gears/Etc.

Re: Gluing Vrail onto extrusion?

Postby artwood_decor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Maybe a combination glue and 3-4 screws will hold them in place and allow you to align them.
Didn't get there yet, but I remember Bart used screws for his first build.
artwood_decor

Postby iGull » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi

I ordered my vee rail from RS here in the UK and some of it like Gav's has a definite curve in both directions.

My rails are a bit longer than the 2x - 680mm and 1674mm, so I will have a bigger problem :D

I had intended cleaning (just using IPA) and clamping the rails to the extrusion ensuring correct alignment then wicking very thin cyano into the joint. I've used this method many times on other projects - perhaps not on something so long however. I don't expect there to be a problem, but now that I've mentioned it, it's sure to be an issue :lol:

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby twehr » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:10 pm

iGull wrote:Hi

I ordered my vee rail from RS here in the UK and some of it like Gav's has a definite curve in both directions.

My rails are a bit longer than the 2x - 680mm and 1674mm, so I will have a bigger problem :D

I had intended cleaning (just using IPA) and clamping the rails to the extrusion ensuring correct alignment then wicking very thin cyano into the joint. I've used this method many times on other projects - perhaps not on something so long however. I don't expect there to be a problem, but now that I've mentioned it, it's sure to be an issue :lol:

Cheers

Neil

Be sure to let us know your results.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

I am waiting for MakerSlide

Postby artwood_decor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 pm

I am waiting for MakerSlide
Bart, when do you think the MakerSlide store will become active? (I noticed most of the products will become available on Oct 01)
I assume you are waiting for the extrusion, as that is the main component of this whole idea, and you mentioned in a post recently that will take another few weeks.
Is there something else that might delay start selling parts on MakerSlide store?
artwood_decor

Postby iGull » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:46 pm

twehr wrote:
Be sure to let us know your results.

Will do Tim, I'm expecting to see some extrusion arrive later this week or early next. I'm using bosch/rexroth rather than misumi.
I intend to use thin Pacer ZAP (pink) as usual, though I have been using a thin Japanese cyano recently which has been outstanding on various jobs - CPC here in the UK sold it, but I no longer see it on their website - can't tell you the name, as it's all in Japanese :-))

Cheers

Neil
iGull

MakerSlide Availability

Postby bdring » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 pm

The MakerSlide material is on order and should be delivered within the next few weeks. The extruder is not the best at communicating status until each stage actually done. The Oct 1st date was just picked so far out that people would not count on it. I am pretty certain I will beat that date.

If you are not a Kickstarter backer there are about 250 people in front of you. I have a regular 40+ hour job, so it will take a while to work through those people alone.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby artwood_decor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:55 pm

I am among the 269 backers... ;)
I will wait for my turn to come. You let us know, promise I will not ask again, until I will see you have it ready to be cut...
Want to order all the parts at once, (MakerSlide, brackets, wheels, belts...) just to save on shipping (Canada)

All the best.
artwood_decor

Postby iGull » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Tim

twehr wrote:Be sure to let us know your results.

Well, completed all the rail gluing using the method I mentioned - absolutely no issues. The long 1.5 metre rails had about 7 or 8mm of bend and twist in them.

Both the rails and the aluminium extrusion were cleaned using cellulose thinners first.

The rails were then taped using blue 3M masking tape to the extrusion corner - started at the middle first - pulling the twist out and carefully checking that there were no gaps. Once everything was taped up (doing one rail at a time), I checked the rails were parallel in X & Y to the extrusion using a digital vernier gauge. When happy, dribbled thin cyano (I used Zap - the pink one) down the corner gap first - slowly. When no more would wick in,did opposite end then dribbled it down the top inside corner where it flows under the 'bridge' formed by the tape - let it wick into the joint - topping it up as need as it runs down the rail. Do the same for the inside corner. When complete, remove tapes and wipe down with a cloth dampened in cellulose thinners or acetone - although there shouldn't be any excess if you do it right ! Do the same for the other side of the rail.

This method allows as much time as you like to ensure that everything is aligned before committing to glue.

I tested a scrap piece of rail on an extrusion and couldn't budge it with a hammer and length of hard ash timber.

There are pix on my buildlog - Blackhole.

Subsequent to this, I left the test rail in a poly bag filled with acetone - I was able to eventually pull it off after leaving it overnight - the rail showed very high coverage of cyano over the surfaces - I'm completely happy with the results and can recommend this method (until my rails fall off that is :D )

Not quite as easy as makerslide 'though :lol:

Cheers

Neil
iGull

Previous

Return to Mechatronics