Free Laser

Discussions on optics for laser cutter/engravers

Free Laser

Postby bdring » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 pm

I have been visiting several local hackerspaces and makerspaces. Last night I went to the Milwaukee Makerspace. It was by far the best equipped "space". Their welding area alone had a TIG, a MIG, a Stick, a Gas and a Plasma. If you don't visit your local hackerspace you are a fool. They are a great place to meet and learn.

I came away with a freebie from an electronics recycler. This is a functional 50W air cooled CO2 laser. The coolest part is it has a 2 axis Galvo scanner on the end. It is a Domino DSL1 model. It runs off an included 27V 18A power supply.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the time to fully utilize this beast. I think it might work well for a DIY laser sintering machine. I have offered to to some local friends who have the cred to make something of it.

IMAG0001.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Free Laser

Postby J45on » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:19 pm

bdring wrote: If you don't visit your local hackerspace you are a fool.

I wish there was one near me, the whole hacker/maker space community is rather small in the uk at the moment :cry:
J45on

Postby Chankster » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:23 pm

J45on wrote:
bdring wrote: If you don't visit your local hackerspace you are a fool.

I wish there was one near me, the whole hacker/maker space community is rather small in the uk at the moment :cry:

My 2.x is currently at home in our hackerspace!
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby BenJackson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 am

Bart,

I was looking at fancy laser cut greeting cards (practically lace!) and wondered how it was cost effective. I found some videos showing them being cut with a galvo scan laser. So now you've got a goal for next Christmas. ;-)

Fast:

Muuuch faster:

I'm pretty sure the final cutout on that second video is faster than my X rapids.
BenJackson

Postby dirktheeng » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:37 pm

bdring wrote:I have been visiting several local hackerspaces and makerspaces. Last night I went to the Milwaukee Makerspace. It was by far the best equipped "space". Their welding area alone had a TIG, a MIG, a Stick, a Gas and a Plasma. If you don't visit your local hackerspace you are a fool. They are a great place to meet and learn.

I came away with a freebie from an electronics recycler. This is a functional 50W air cooled CO2 laser. The coolest part is it has a 2 axis Galvo scanner on the end. It is a Domino DSL1 model. It runs off an included 27V 18A power supply.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the time to fully utilize this beast. I think it might work well for a DIY laser sintering machine. I have offered to to some local friends who have the cred to make something of it.

IMAG0001.jpg

Bart,

If you can't find a home for it locally, I will pay for shipping to get it here. I could do a lot with this. Justin Webber and I are looking to build some 3d manufacturing technologies and could use this thing as is for a laser sintering and/or take the galvo and use it for a stereo lithography and I could put the co2 laser to work elsewhere.
dirktheeng

Return to Optics and Lasers