Sneak Peek at new Y drive

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Sneak Peek at new Y drive

Postby bdring » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Here is a sneak peek at the new Y drive system. This consists of a 5mm to 1/4" flexible couple and a case hardened steel 1/4" shaft. The bearing slides right on it with a smooth fit. This shaft is 14" long from McMaster. The current threaded rod is 13.25" long. It has a 0.002 per foot straightness tolerance.

I really don't want to cut it, so I am thinking about moving the Y motor over just enough so that the left side shaft does hit the skin. It will stick through the right side an extra bit, but it is nice to use a stock part with no modifications. I will try to install and test this soon. It should only affect the bom cost by about $12.

IMG_0771.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Sneak Peek at new Y drive

Postby BenJackson » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 pm

I will be glad to beta test a whole "smooth drive" kit.

However I will probably just cut the rods to length since I have an HVBS and I don't want to mess with the frame.

I really want to get my Y wobble fixed because it makes it pretty much impossible to print slot-together acrylic stuff.
BenJackson

Postby J45on » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:11 pm

I used silver steel ( sometimes called drill rod ) for my Y drive it is surface ground and came in 13" lengths
It is precision ground yet soft enough to cut if need be , but at 13" it was just right :)
J45on

Postby StigOE » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:31 am

I used 8mm stainless steel turned down for the coupler, pulley and bearing, but since I haven't received the left end yet, I haven't been able to test it.
StigOE

13 * 2 = 12 + 14

Postby bdring » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 am

I figured out a simple solution. I will use a 14" and a 12" shaft. That keeps the stock un-modified shafts and actually saves a dollar. Cutting is a drag and ruins the precision chamfered ends.

I have it installed and it runs smoother. I cannot see any wobble at the pulley. Moving the motor over was easy. It actually simplified the removal of the old shafts.

I need to double check the squareness and alignment before I fire the laser. I probably could have used a light clamp on the gantry to hold it square, but I have my re-align time down to about 15 minutes these days.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dirktheeng » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Bart,

This will work well. It's the same thing I did, but you probably have bearings that fit the shafts well. It was not a big deal to sand down the shafts to make them fit. It will make a big difference. How much were the couplers you got? I got mine from misumi and I think they were $14 or so. There isn't any backlash in the couplers either.
dirktheeng

Postby bdring » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 pm

I bought about 30 of them at about $4 each. I hope to get them cheaper when I buy a bunch.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 am

where did you get them?
dirktheeng

Postby BenJackson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:34 am

Bart: Are these kits going to be delayed by the MakerSlide rollout? I'm holding off on cutting some things because of the Y wobble (it makes slots too variable). If the kit is a long way off I'll just solve it myself.
BenJackson

Postby bdring » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:21 pm

where did you get them?

I buy them direct from China. I have some contacts through eBay, referals and often people contact me directly. Usually you can email some of the eBay folks and inquire about larger orders. You usually need to request at least ten times their biggest listing on eBay to get their attention and have them sell off eBay.

The MakerSlide hold only affects new fabrication. That means milling, routing, cutting. Anything I have in stock like motors, pulley,belts I can ship. I can ship the Y upgrade. Email directly if you want one.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Next

Return to 2.x Laser Support