Terrible plywood: BNM "Bud Nosen Models"

Where you can find stuff.

Terrible plywood: BNM "Bud Nosen Models"

Postby BenJackson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 pm

I think the glue in the 3/16" 4-ply "hobby plywood" must be a perfect IR mirror. I'm not sure the laser cut the glue at all (especially the middle layer) -- it just sometimes gets destroyed by nearby burning wood. 3/16" is actually slightly thinner than 5mm (which I've been cutting fine) but it took me multiple passes to even get through this stuff and if I used enough power to get through it was badly charred. Lower power would cut through the top layer only and never go through the glue at all.
BenJackson

Re: Terrible plywood: BNM "Bud Nosen Models"

Postby cpdude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Hey Ben,

I've always bad luck (charring) with real aircraft plywood. I don't know that much about the "hobby plywood" you are using but it's all about the glue. I've had very good luck with some local 3ply ~1/8" birch plywood I've been getting.

BTW, what kind of models do you work on? Obviously some Bud Nosen stuff but do you work on other? I do a little model stuff. Here's a link (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=26240) to some of my stuff.

Rian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Re: Terrible plywood: BNM "Bud Nosen Models"

Postby BenJackson » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:25 pm

I just got a few rectangular pieces at a hobby store because I assumed it would be high quality (no voids, etc). What should have been obvious to me from the edge is that it has very thick glue layers. Maybe they use crummy inner veneers and so much glue the voids are filled.
BenJackson

Return to Sources for stuff