2.x MakerSlide Upgrade Progress

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

2.x MakerSlide Upgrade Progress

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I have been assembling a new 2.x with the Makerslide upgrade. Here is a picture of the new frame. Not much changes. You need some special corner brackets to clear the V because now it goes all the way to the end. The center cross member that holds the front of the tube also needs a different bracket. I also added a front to rear extrusion on the far right side at the MakerSlide level. This allows you to install the power supply on a deck at this level which can help isolate the electrical noise.

2x_ms_01.jpg

2x_ms_02.jpg

These brackets are thinner. I did not have the right length hardware, so I added some washers. I fix that soon.

2x_ms_03.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Frame Drawing

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Here is a static copy of the frame drawing. This is preliminary and will change.

I was a little frustrated with the bdring/twehr t-nut chart method, I must admit. While it was correct, I kept forgetting to add nuts for upcoming corner bracket. The chart assumes you know that, but I kept screwing up anyway.

This version adds an extra sheet to show all the nuts per extrusion.

d30027_rev_4.pdf
(482.19 KiB) Downloaded 1257 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Gantry

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Here is a partially complete gantry. The most striking thing is how light it feels. I calculated it should weight about 3/4 pound less due to no steel rails, but it feels like it weighs half of what it used to even with the motor installed. This should give better Y speed and accel. The original plan was to use the same old single bearing v wheels. I decided to use the double bearing ones on the Y. The carriage will stay the same.

Originally I said the people at the $64 backer level would get a full upgrade kit. Adding 9 wheels and 9 more bearings was not in that estimate. If you want to change your wheel and you are at the $64 level you will have to pay for them.

I test fit the gantry in the frame and it fit perfectly (I love CAD!). Installing the bottom wheel was not an issue (and only required two hands). You put the eccentric spacer in. Place the V wheel on the v rail and against the spacer and push the screw in from the other side.

2x_ms_g_01.JPG

2x_ms_g_02.JPG

This shows the notch in the idler bracket. I did not want the notch to compromise strength so I cut less off the face. This requires a different length of screw (16mm) which I do not have yet, so I added spacers.

2x_ms_g_03.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: 2.x MakerSlide Upgrade Progress

Postby BenJackson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Bart,

This would be an excellent time to incorporate the gantry changes to increase Y travel. I know that moving the X limit to the front was one of the key changes (so it can clear the Z lift).

Also in that first pic it looks like your back rail is a little sloppy where it meets the rear left upright. :)
BenJackson

Postby J45on » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Looking good Bart :D
I never made a very good job of glueing my rails :oops: so I am looking forward to this
I have two questions
I presume we could still use the bearings and wheels we currently have ?
What would be the cost for adding the new dual bearing wheels ect to the upgrade ?
J45on

Y Work Area Travel

Postby bdring » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm

This would be an excellent time to incorporate the gantry changes to increase Y travel

I will try to incorporate work area travel optimizations wherever possible.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bdring » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Cost for adding double bearing wheels

Plastic wheels are $1.50 each, bearings are $1 each. You need 6 wheels and 6 bearings (if you reuse the existing ones).
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bdring » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:14 pm

The extra cost only applies to a $64 level backer. I will throw them in for higher level backers.

The MakerSlide sizes are (2) @ 560mm and 1 @ 700mm, which is almost exactly the 6' length the $64 people are supposed to get. I will add in all the (5 ish) required plastic parts, hardware, spacers and special Misumi corner brackets for existing 2.x owners.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Is there a section of the wiki with an updated Makerslide parts list? I'd like to order the stuff from Misumi, so when the Makerslide parts are available to non-supporters (I forgot about it and missed out) I can have everything ready to go.
Enraged

Re: Frame Drawing

Postby andrewblanejr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 am

bdring wrote:Here is a static copy of the frame drawing. This is preliminary and will change.

I was a little frustrated with the bdring/twehr t-nut chart method, I must admit. While it was correct, I kept forgetting to add nuts for upcoming corner bracket. The chart assumes you know that, but I kept screwing up anyway.

This version adds an extra sheet to show all the nuts per extrusion.

d30027_rev_4.pdf

Hi Bart,

I really appreciate you making this updated drawing with t-nut numbers. I know you said it was "preliminary", i think i found an error. In your drawing extrusion peice #9 (as labeled by the "instructions") says it should have 9 t-nuts on the front...i think that must be a typo. the extrusion is only 90mm, it cant possibly have 9 t-nuts. Anyways i hope this feedback is helpful.

Best,
Andrew
andrewblanejr

Next

Return to 2.x Laser Support