Dead computer

Postby J45on » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:13 pm

:cry: My donated computer is playing up big time and I need a new one
But will my software run on windows 7 ?
I use mach3 for my cnc router
Coreldraw X4
And PHcad for my DSP
Mach3 specifies 32 bit only

Anybody using the above with windows 7 ?
J45on

Re: Dead computer

Postby Francois Swart » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Windows 7 ultimate has a feature called windows xp mode- I think. Its basicly windows xp running as an application inside windows 7. That might be your simplest sollution. Try a google search for it.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..."
Francois Swart

Postby steppenshoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Those programs run on windows 7 on my machines with no issues. Better and faster to boot. I have been running Mach3 on Windows 7 since it came out to run my CNC machines as well, but I do have a smooth stepper. A lot of guys I know toss Mach3 on an old 50.00 - 100.00 computer with XP just for their CNC and put everything else on another machine becasue they have had issue with Mach 3 in window7(well thought they would anyway), I have never had any at all..

I would get windows 7 though for sure, no matter what the die hards say about XP, windows 7 is better and it plays most any software in compatibility mode anyway. I find I don't even have any software left that needs compatibility mode any more.
steppenshoe

Postby J45on » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks for the replays guys ;)

The trouble I am having now is finding one with a parallel port :roll:
J45on

Postby steppenshoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Here are 24 of them, most include XP. ALl you need is a cheap computer for the laser and get a better computer for yourself.

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=813

I would get this one, 134.00 including shipping, XP Sp3 and keyboard, 2 GB ram and 250 GB HD, plenty good for a CNC machine.:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... 2R&cat=SYS

If its to much get another, but I would get 2 GB ram for sure. Especially if you are running more than Mach3 on it.

I have 4 of these, but all of mine have 2 or 3 GB Ram, not 1 GB, they run Mach3 great: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... -B&cat=SYS

If you go smooth stepper you do not need the parallel port. My best CNC machine uses a touch screen all in one(no tower or case), with windows 7 and 4 GB ram running Mach 3 and a smooth stepper. It is way more than I need for a CNC machine so I can run anything else on it I want if I have to. It was only 400.00 at the time, probably less now. Using Mach3 with the touch and having no case is really nice for the CNC machine. If you think abut it even if you get a monitor for 100 and a computer for 150.00 that is very close to the price of an all in one refurbished touch screen with a current operating system, huge hard drive and 4 GB Ram, of course you will need a Smooth Stepper.. I don't run any of my CNC machines that use Mach3 with a parallel port any more, the smooth steppers are just to good.
Last edited by steppenshoe on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steppenshoe

Postby AJ Quick » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:17 am

I usually get the Dell SX280 (I think Geeks.com is where I got it) for my CNC machines. Its plenty fast, and comes with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. You really can't go wrong with those.

I think if you search eBay or Craigslist you might be able to find the SX280 for cheaper though.
CNC Building Blocks - Now Funding on Kickstarter!
http://www.aquickcnc.com/ - Hobby CNC Machines As Seen on Kickstarter!
AJ Quick

Postby naPS » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:34 am

J45on wrote:Anybody using the above with windows 7 ?

I use all those programs on a Windows 7 32 bit machine with no problems whatsoever.
naPS

Postby steppenshoe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Yeah the SX 280 is what I call a faux all in one, it actually has the case hanging off the back of the monitor. I almost got some of these for the 9 year olds, but I got better deal on something else. These machines are nice for a CNC though, its all the power Mach3 needs in a tight package. You do pay a premium for it being all together though, you can get the same system separate for 50-75 less if you look around:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId ... -19-MAR-2R

I may actually get one of these for my kid, he is going to start a a laser 2.xx, I hope to get him most of the parts from here by his B-day.
steppenshoe

Postby J45on » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Cheers guys
Unfortunately I am in the UK so the PC links are no good for me :cry:

I will keep searching for a new PC with windows 7 32 bit and a parallel port
Do parallel port cards work with Mach3 ?
J45on

Postby steppenshoe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Yes, I have gotten a parallel port card to work with Mach3. I will list the model number in a minute.

Geeks does ship internationally, you would have to try to put in the address to get an estimate on shipping and then us do not go through wit the transaction if its to high. Or email them.
steppenshoe

Next

Return to Software