Thunder Laser Resetting occasionally when laser on

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Thunder Laser Resetting occasionally when laser on

Postby bangerla » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:01 pm

I have a problem that the Thunder Laser front panel is occasionally resetting when the laser is on. Sometimes it sounds like there is an arc somewhere, and the front panel display goes blank or resets. The laser will continue engraving though. I have tried insulating everything, and it still occasionally happens. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any suggestions?
bangerla

Re: Thunder Laser Resetting occasionally when laser on

Postby r691175002 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 am

Sounds like a grounding issue. Insulation isn't always the best solution because if the voltage keeps building up it will arc eventually and it will be worse.

Is the chassis connected to the ground prong of an electrical outlet?

Are all the grounds connected properly (With the exception of the tube ground, I have no idea if that one should be separate or connected but I left mine separate.).
r691175002

Postby twehr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:57 pm

bangerla wrote:I have a problem that the Thunder Laser front panel is occasionally resetting when the laser is on. Sometimes it sounds like there is an arc somewhere, and the front panel display goes blank or resets. The laser will continue engraving though. I have tried insulating everything, and it still occasionally happens. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any suggestions?

The LightObject version of the same controller does that as well - usually coming back in Chinese. I have always attributed it to a poor connection of the cable from the controller to the panel. I have never totally solved it, but it has nearly always happened to me when there was movement of the panel during the job. I read the other response about grounding being a possible cause. I had not considered that, but now I will plan to run an extra grounding wired between the two and see if that helps.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby r691175002 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I made my grounding problem assumption based on the sound of an arc but cables coming loose is also possible. Hot glue works wonders at keeping wires where they should be and can be peeled off if you try hard enough.
r691175002

Postby qclaser » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 am

motherboard Anti-interference not good
qclaser

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller