2.x laser with RetinaEngrave

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

2.x laser with RetinaEngrave

Postby StigOE » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Does anyone know what needs to be set in RetinaEngrave to get Z-axis to work with a 2.x laser? I found <IsZaxisAvailable>false</IsZaxisAvailable> in config.xml and set it to true, so I have the buttons for it in RetinaEngrave, but nothing happens when I press them. I tried to swap some drivers just to make sure the drivers wasn't faulty. It wasn't.

I also found an error in the wiki for the interface/driver board. The drawing of the connectors shows X-axis to be closest to 24V in, while the silkscreen on the actual board shows Z-axis to be closest to 24V in. SInce I had followed the drawing when connecting up the board, my table started going up and down when I tried going left and right...

I also noticed that a lot of my red laser beam is reflected from the laser head and hits to the right of mirror 2. Does that mean my laser head needs to be rotated left slightly so that the reflected beam hits the mirror?

Stig
Attachments
IMG_0449.JPG
StigOE

Re: 2.x laser with RetinaEngrave

Postby whmeade10 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:00 pm

StigOE wrote:Does anyone know what needs to be set in RetinaEngrave to get Z-axis to work with a 2.x laser? I found <IsZaxisAvailable>false</IsZaxisAvailable> in config.xml and set it to true, so I have the buttons for it in RetinaEngrave, but nothing happens when I press them. I tried to swap some drivers just to make sure the drivers wasn't faulty. It wasn't.

I also found an error in the wiki for the interface/driver board. The drawing of the connectors shows X-axis to be closest to 24V in, while the silkscreen on the actual board shows Z-axis to be closest to 24V in. SInce I had followed the drawing when connecting up the board, my table started going up and down when I tried going left and right...

I also noticed that a lot of my red laser beam is reflected from the laser head and hits to the right of mirror 2. Does that mean my laser head needs to be rotated left slightly so that the reflected beam hits the mirror?

Stig

What version Retina are you using? I have the v4 board and using Bart's 4 axis driver board and everything is working great. I just finished my first project with the rotary adapter on a wine glass. I will post a picture later in my gallery. I will attach a pdf of a wiring diagram the way I have mine hooked up. If you pm me your regular email address I will send you a copy of my config file, and you can compare. Everything seems to be working correctly on my machine, as far as I can tell. Next project is to get the auto focus working.

FS Retina Wiring.pdf
v4 RetinaEngrave to Bart's 4 axis driver board.
(128.6 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times

Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby StigOE » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Bill,

I have the older 3.x board, but with upgraded FW, so I'm running RE 4.13B.

PM sent with email address.

I also need to check which microstepping I need to use. I tried a quick job, and I think it might have been too small. And, looking at the file in CorelDraw, I need to change the microstepping to 1/8...

Stig
StigOE

Postby whmeade10 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:18 pm

StigOE wrote:Bill,

I have the older 3.x board, but with upgraded FW, so I'm running RE 4.13B.

PM sent with email address.

I also need to check which microstepping I need to use. I tried a quick job, and I think it might have been too small. And, looking at the file in CorelDraw, I need to change the microstepping to 1/8...

Stig

I am set at 1/8 on the driver board for each axis and 2000 steps per inch in the config file.

Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby StigOE » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:42 pm

I tried Bill's file and other than the laser firing as soon as I closed the lid, nothing changed...

Did some more troubleshooting today. First measured all connections on the driver board and they were good. Then I put a scope on the inputs for Z-axis and found Dir to not change on direction change. I had Step-pulses, but it still didn't move. Made a adapter that crossed X- and Z-axis, and the gantry moved only one way, but the Z-axis didn't move at all. Scoped the input and output of the buffer and the output was normally 0.5V increasing to about 0.75V during the pulses. Time to get a new buffer-chip... Also need to check with FSE about the Dir Z signal.

Edit: Seems like it is difficult to get hold of 74HC7014. Digi-key had a lead time of about a month. Any other chips that can be used?

Stig
StigOE

Postby StigOE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Have anyone tried the old Retina card (without SD card slot) with motorized Z-axis? I spoke to technical support and apparently the old card doesn't support Z-axis. I find it strange that I get Step pulses for Z-axis if it isn't supported. I just don't get Dir information. I know that pin 6 and 7 on the D-Sub is connected to the XMOS processor, so it's just the firmware that is the problem.

Stig
StigOE

Return to 2.x Laser Support