solved first setup for conversion K40 laser to 2012 DSP

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

solved first setup for conversion K40 laser to 2012 DSP

Postby a542002 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:05 am

hi all
after days of fiddeling around and reading lots of foren I finally got it figured out how to set up the new DSP controller from light object.
here is the description
setupdescrption.pdf
(90.92 KiB) Downloaded 1244 times
Attachments
manufactsettings.jpg
Last edited by a542002 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a542002

Re: solved first setup for conversion K40 laser to 2012 DSP

Postby twehr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:52 pm

So, what was the problem you were trying to solve with this procedure?

Either I am not reading/understanding your instructions or you are not understanding the way the controller works and are doing a lot of extra steps. I don't have the 2012 model, but can't believe it is that much different than the previous version.

Please tell us your original problem and I think we can help.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby a542002 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:09 pm

hi twehr
I dont know the previous versions but all what I could read in all the foren especially in the lighobject was mostly just about the old DSP and that the new one is in the most parts different.
what I used to work with was the different moshi board versions till I got engough.
now I was unfortnetly and received one board drom the first batch where the USB connection did not work at all. after the second board the one with the network connection I try to make it work but even the settings from the manual what was provided ( it was the one from the old DSP) did not work .even such people as baccus had there problemes because of the new DSP AW 608 just read this in the lightobject forum.
sorry but I know from other people they have similar problemes and I thought I put it out because more and more people change over to this card now.
if you dont like it sorry
greetings
walt

twehr wrote:So, what was the problem you were trying to solve with this procedure?

Either I am not reading/understanding your instructions or you are not understanding the way the controller works and are doing a lot of extra steps. I don't have the 2012 model, but can't believe it is that much different than the previous version.

a542002

Postby twehr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 pm

a542002 wrote:hi twehr
I dont know the previous versions but all what I could read in all the foren especially in the lighobject was mostly just about the old DSP and that the new one is in the most parts different.
what I used to work with was the different moshi board versions till I got engough.
now I was unfortnetly and received one board drom the first batch where the USB connection did not work at all. after the second board the one with the network connection I try to make it work but even the settings from the manual what was provided ( it was the one from the old DSP) did not work .even such people as baccus had there problemes because of the new DSP AW 608 just read this in the lightobject forum.
sorry but I know from other people they have similar problemes and I thought I put it out because more and more people change over to this card now.
greetings
walt

twehr wrote:So, what was the problem you were trying to solve with this procedure?

Not trying to offend you. It's not a matter of whether I like it - it is whether you are doing way more than you need to. The way I understand your steps, you are recalibrating your pulse width on every job. That should not be necessary.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby a542002 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:53 pm

hi
no thats why I close the programm lasercut 5.5b when I have set the parameter in general because only after closing the program and re- open the parameter would stay in ther if not it will change every time
greetings
walt

twehr wrote:
a542002 wrote:hi twehr
greetings
walt

Not trying to offend you. It's not a matter of whether I like it - it is whether you are doing way more than you need to. The way I understand your steps, you are recalibrating your pulse width on every job. That should not be necessary.
a542002

Postby Gadroc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:23 pm

As Tim said you're not setting this up correctly. As I posted on the lightobject forum the manufacturer parameters and user parameters are stored on the DPS itself and not in the "software". In order to see the setting you are actually using you have to click the "Read" button and when you make changes you need to click the "Save" button. That is what causes those settings to transfer to the DSP and be used for new jobs. In addition in my experience pulse unit does not take affect till after you click Save and then turn off and on the DSP itself. Once you have dialed in your machine theoretically you'll never go back and look at / touch manufacturer settings even if you reformat or get a new computer.
Gadroc

Postby a542002 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 pm

hi
first I have to say again I am talking the latest DSP controller AW 608 with lasercut 5.5b what seems to be even different to the 2010 version
it is correct that the parameter are stored in the DSP but the save botton allone does not store it. I need to download it in laser cut then in the submeneue what comes up I need to hit download again only after this it is stored in the DSP. the puls unit was also what I am talking about
that I need to close the program in order to be stored.
I mean if you say I dont do it correctly then I can tell you I was in every forum and could not find anythings about the correct settings with this latest DSP controller and I know from other people that they had the same problem that why I did post my settings and procedure because it has proofen to work.
greetings
walt

Gadroc wrote:As Tim said you're not setting this up correctly. As I posted on the lightobject forum the manufacturer parameters and user parameters are stored on the DPS itself and not in the "software". In order to see the setting you are actually using you have to click the "Read" button and when you make changes you need to click the "Save" button. That is what causes those settings to transfer to the DSP and be used for new jobs. In addition in my experience pulse unit does not take affect till after you click Save and then turn off and on the DSP itself. Once you have dialed in your machine theoretically you'll never go back and look at / touch manufacturer settings even if you reformat or get a new computer.
a542002

Postby Gadroc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Walt,

I am also talking about the 2012 AW 608 which is what I run in my machine. What the manufacturer parameters pages says before clicking Read is irrelevant as they are not used by the software. They are parameters which are stored in the DSP used by it's firmware when running a job. As long as you click Read and you see the right parameters after clicking read you are ok.
Gadroc

Postby Gadroc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:10 pm

One more item Walt, which is you are correct in the way you fix the sizing which is what truly solves the problems. That is to burn a square measure it and use the pulse unit calculator in the screen to set the pulse unit. If pulse unit is not correct then the size measurements for the range will be off and so will cutting lengths. If you truly want accurate cuts you also have to account for the kerf size when doing the measuring, but that is a pretty small margin of error for most folks.

The steps I didn't see which can cause problems is related to the Read and Save buttons. If you don't use those properly you will possibly mess up other settings. And why I'm posting this is some of your settings in your screen shot don't look right still. The travel distance for a K40 should be about 300 in the X and around 200 depending on where you put your limit switches. Your limits in your screenshot are set to about half of that which leads me to believe something is not configured right on your machine (unless you have artificially set them low).
Gadroc

Postby a542002 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:16 pm

thats right
that is why I said in my post the range setting can go to 300x 200 i just try this for some engraving smaller but it did not change the over the limit message it was the relation between the laser poersetting and the enrgaving speed what messed it up.

Gadroc wrote:One more item Walt, which is you are correct in the way you fix the sizing which is what truly solves the problems. That is to burn a square measure it and use the pulse unit calculator in the screen to set the pulse unit. If pulse unit is not correct then the size measurements for the range will be off and so will cutting lengths. If you truly want accurate cuts you also have to account for the kerf size when doing the measuring, but that is a pretty small margin of error for most folks.

The steps I didn't see which can cause problems is related to the Read and Save buttons. If you don't use those properly you will possibly mess up other settings. And why I'm posting this is some of your settings in your screen shot don't look right still. The travel distance for a K40 should be about 300 in the X and around 200 depending on where you put your limit switches. Your limits in your screenshot are set to about half of that which leads me to believe something is not configured right on your machine (unless you have artificially set them low).
a542002

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller