Fire Extinguisher for cnc laser

Issues related to safety

Fire Extinguisher for cnc laser

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:50 am

All,

After seeing Mark K's unfortunate experience with a fire in his cnc laser during a cut with acrylic and the aftermath of the fire extinguisher, I started to look into some fire extinguishers. I have a dry chemical extinguisher, but I think this is not a good choise for a cnc laser system because it is very corrosive and will damag any electronics and exposed metals. If you want to have a chance of rebuilding the system after an event like this, it may be best to have a different extinguisher on hand. Other extinguishers are really quite expensive and relatively indiscriminate with regards to localization. I found a new product that could be better. It's called the tundra fire spray. If the fire is small and hasen't engulfed the whole laser system, it may be better than a regular extinguisher as in Mark K's case (forgive me if I am misjudging the situation, I wasn't there to see anything). Further, the cost is only around $14. A halon extinguisher runs in the hundreds. I have a cheap (but effective) dry chemical extinguisher as backup, but this may save the laser system from serious damage.
dirktheeng

Re: Fire Extinguisher for cnc laser

Postby mikegrundvig » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:05 am

Sadly, there are a handful of reports of it failing to fire when you need it:
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-AF400 ... B001229JCU

And the consumer reports article:
http://174.129.132.250/safety/2010/04/a ... shers.html

Not saying this might not be a great choice, but I'd be nervous enough to have a normal extinguisher right next to it as well.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Re: Fire Extinguisher for cnc laser

Postby Groover » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:07 am

I would think a small CO2 extinguisher right next to the machine would be a good idea. Both powder and foam extinguisher leave a lot of cleaning up after use. And with the good ventilation we usually have in the machines the CO2 wouldn't be much of a problem even in small shops, just turn of the ventilation, put out the fire and start up the ventilation again to get the CO2 out of the room.
Groover

Return to Safety