Blackhole Coolant Flow Sensor

Methods of cooling laser tubes

Re: Blackhole Coolant Flow Sensor

Postby mikegrundvig » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:18 pm

I knew it was a hybrid but I didn't realize it was running their software - oops! I don't like Lasersaur stealing all the thunder from Buildlog when they are still quite vaporware in my opinion and already getting more press than they deserve for what they've released. Not at all to say that I think they are going to stay vaporware or that they have a bad design but until they come out of beta they are highly over-hyped while buildlog has had many dozens of successful builds. I really don't understand how their PR is so good considering they've had a handful of builds and are tweaking the design constantly while 2x is quite stable and reliable and has been for a long time.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby iGull » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Yes, I fully understand what you're saying Mike.
You mentioned the magic word 'though - PR - sadly the way of the world :D
However, the machine itself is nice, it's big, it looks the part, the software looks very good (it has issues of course) it's multi platform - that is a HUGE issue with the 'maker' crew - many of them are Mac or Linux - how many controllers support mac or linux - diddly squat - you just can't keep disregarding such a large section of the community without it eventually biting you back :lol: I'm not going to go the political route on a laser forum, but suffice to say, you only need to take a look at the near east to see the effects of NOT pampering to the perceived 'minority'. /rant :D

I'd watch your back Mike, you'll find a lasersaur logo burned into you're Levis :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a foot in both camps (probably the sharp part of the fence :) ) so would like to see some form of merger for 'the greater good'. I'm also interested in the LAOS controller project and have a beta board - maybe one of them will head out in front . It would be really good if all the knowledge was chanelled into one direction - now that IS a political comment :D :D

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby mikegrundvig » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 am

I was just re-reading my post and realized it came across a lot more harsh than I intended, sorry! My vaporware comment isn't intended to be a slight to them at all. I consider everything that is hyped by not publicly available to be vaporware. This isn't a condemnation at all, just that it's ethereal until it becomes available for people to use. For instance, until I'm busy cutting stuff on my laser it's vaporware too :)

With that said, I do still feel they are getting an absurd amount of press for their current state of completion. BuildLog machines look great too and are already here yet when I started looking into building my own laser cutter I ran into multiple Lasersaur references for each single Buildlog reference and that bugs me. It should be the other way around.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby iGull » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 am

Had a brainwave this morning, for a simple setup, you could hack a bike computer for the electronics (in fact, the only hacking would be a bit of double sided tape to stick the computer to a panel :D :D )
I't should be roughly possible to 'calibrate' it - bike computers have a calibrate section where you put the wheel dia in.

I'm sure my old computer used a hall effect sensor as there were three wires from the sensor block on the fork. Either way, if it was a reed switch, that would be fine too.

Not sure if it would be possible to get a wireless versions working unless the sensor electronics were pulled from the case - nice cheap and cheerful sensor though.

Remember you saw it here first :lol:

Cheers

Neil
iGull

Postby metalman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 pm

That's a great idea. I was thinking along similar lines but using a wind sensor. Or a small coil of thin magnet wire glued to the side of the sensor connected to a volt meter to readout a relative flow rate. Its not wireless but low tech.
metalman

Postby iGull » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

metalman wrote:Or a small coil of thin magnet wire glued to the side of the sensor connected to a volt meter to readout a relative flow rate. Its not wireless but low tech.

Deja Vu ! On the first version, I played with a microphone coil/capacitor/diode combo to measure a voltage, but a bit variable - the hall effect works really well.

One consideration for waterproofing was just to slip the sensor in a plastic tube keeping both ends above water.

I'm wondering if the wireless bike sensor would actually work in the tank (in a waterproof container of course !)...

I'm sure there must be plenty of ideas - who'll be the first with bluetooth :lol:

Cheers

Neil
iGull

Previous

Return to Cooling