Rotary engraving problem

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Rotary engraving problem

Postby J45on » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:25 pm

After seeing timogiles's engraved beer bottle viewtopic.php?f=4&t=909&p=8002#p8002
I had to have a go :D
But I can not seem to get the result I want :?
I am using Bart's rotary adaptor in my 2x laser with a thunder laser DSP
Pressing box on the dsp or cut box in phcad will outline the correct size but when I try to engrave the Y axis heavily compressed ?

I have tried searching for "engraving problems" but the search always ignores "engraving"

EDIT: my problem seems to come from the "current diameter" setting if I set this to the diameter of my bottle I get a hugely squashed image
The lowest I can set this is 10mm and my image is still slightly squashed ?

EDIT:2 I think I have solved this :lol: I just tried it with the rotary option turned off and it worked great
J45on

Re: Rotary engraving problem

Postby lasersafe1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Looks like you quickly solved it on your own. Pictures?
lasersafe1

pictures

Postby J45on » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Pictures :D

First without a flash, this is how they look in the flesh

These are taken with a flash
first attempts

Second

third close but not right

final go,I have no more room left, this one is the correct size done with the rotary settings turned off
I tried a layer of dish soap on this last attempt ( read that online somewhere ) but I think it needed more power

I will try a different image next time this was a dithered bitmap
I need to drink more beer now so I have more bottles to try and etch
Any tips on etching glass ?
J45on

Postby lasersafe1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

I was talking to someone recently at a party that owns an engraving business and has purchased one of the popular $18,000 lasers. It surprised me when he said he uses the engraver to make a stencil and then he sand blasts the glass. Perhaps it gives a more consistent result? I would sure try with the laser more before resorting to sand blasting.
lasersafe1

Postby iGull » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Funny you should mention sandblasting, last summer, they had a special offer on at one of the local stores (Aldi I think) - sandblasting kit for an air compressor - really cheap.
I bought it and never used it until a couple of weeks ago - first job was removing some paint on an old metal detector find from the beach, but I fancied trying a sandblasted wooden sign.
I cut the mask from some old fablon (self adhesive vinyl) on the laser (oops - vinyl :-) ) - worked well, so tried on a sheet of picture glass - outstanding ! OK, you wasted the mask each time, but great results and probably took much the same time as rastering. Bit of a mess with the grit - really needs to be done outside. For a large job 'though, it would be better than rastering and multiple overlaid masks could produce large jobs. Results on glass were VERY even. If anyone is that interested, I can post a pic.

Various options on grit (silicon carbide) or sodium bicarbonate for extremely fine stuff (BTW, sandblasted bicarb is great for cleaning up old model aircraft engines :-)

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby mondo50m » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:21 pm

I have cut the stencil on the laser and then used a product called 'Armour Etch' to do the etching. It is a paste that you apply to the glass using a brush,but it only works on glass. I used a sheet of self-adhesive shelf paper to make the stencil.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby iGull » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Bill Meade PM'd me to ask about the results of the sandblasting mask on glass, here's a pic ...

sanblasted glass.JPG
Sandblasted glass

I blew the centre off the 'o' in '.co.uk' - it is only 2mm in dia and it was really a quick test :oops:

The results in this large case are much better than that achieved by laser rastering.

The clear oval section is 170x85mm - apologies for the dirty workshop window, you just can't get the staff these days :D

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller