ORD Bot 3D Printer

Post your build logs here

Re: ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

The Slic3r infill default was 60mm/s. I raised it to 100mm/s. The default infill percent was 0.4. I changed that to 0.25. I did not try any faster settings yet. I did not adjust any retractions settings either.

My goal was not really to find the highest speed, I just wanted the print to get done faster, so I could go to sleep.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Pazu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Release this baby already! :D

Seriously, any ETA?
Pazu

Source Files

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

The design of the Quantum size is done. The STEP files are here.

http://www.buildlog.net/documents/D30050_stp.zip ... edit: fixed typo

There is already at least one in the "wild" made by someone.

ORD bot1.jpg

The larger 210mm square build area is being prototyped I will post the design files when it is ready.

I am looking into kits. The acrylic parts are all being quoted in blue anodized aluminum. The best case is getting parts in 3-4 weeks. I am only going to produce the Mech platform, but at least two people, one domestic and one international, have suggested they will produce full kits.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mondo50m » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:40 pm

It would seem that you forgot the 'l' in Buildlog.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby JeremyBP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 pm

100m/sec? Wow, you're really flying!
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby Enraged » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Is it possible to cut all of the flat parts with a laser? I used my coffee break at work to quickly model a new heater carriage. I made it out of 4 parts that interlock and could be laser cut from 1/8" acrylic or plywood.

ord_lasercut.jpg
Enraged

Postby mondo50m » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 pm

What program can one use to view the above files? (step) I have downloaded two files that are supposed to work, but it keeps telling me the file is not supported. Or can someone convert the files to either PLT or DXF?

Milt
mondo50m

Postby canadianavenger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:07 pm

mondo50m wrote:What program can one use to view the above files? (step) I have downloaded two files that are supposed to work, but it keeps telling me the file is not supported. Or can someone convert the files to either PLT or DXF?

Milt

Step files are 3D model files. Any 3D CAD package worth its salt can open them. The files will be pretty much useless fora 2D only CAD package.
canadianavenger

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Laser cutting should work fine. That is one of the goals of the project. The motor mounts need to be stiff, so use a stiff material there. I used some counter bores on the Y carriage, that helps when I print on glass, but I also use a heater that I stand off on small spacers and that would not care about some screw heads. A simple solution is to manually countersink the holes and use flat head screws. The design is independent of the thickness of the carriages, so you might use 6mm like I did on my prototype. I think I have 1/8" now for my sheet metal quoting.

I am having a little difficulty with a single universal extruder mount. I have something similar to your idea designed, except the sides of that carriage fold forward and a flat plate bolts to the bottom of that. I am hoping the 2 plates can accommodate most of the extruders.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:31 pm

100m/sec? Wow, you're really flying!

I did say millimeters :) I know 100 meters per second is flying. Is 100mm/sec flying? I know the machine can go faster, but I wonder about the extrusion quality. I only used it for the infill so it does not need to be perfect.

I did notice that Slic3r was not "hopping" the start point. I think that can help make a better print.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs