Mike's ORDish Bot build

Post your build logs here

Mike's ORDish Bot build

Postby mike » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:44 pm

I was on the verge ordering parts to build a MendelMax printer when Bart first posted the original ORD Bot design.
After doing some quick napkin calculations to guess at MakerSlide sizes that would allow a build platform roughly the same size as the MendelMax, I put in an order at the MakerSlide store. (And found out later how lucky I was to get the order in while was in stock!)

I'm using the standard wheel carriage plates, and in the process of cutting out the motor & idler pulley brackets.
With luck, I'll be able to finish up and test the Z-axis tonight.

The build is definitely a work in progress, but I'm having a lot of fun figuring out how things will work.

Many thanks to Bart for creating MakerSlide & the ORD Bot design!
Image
Last edited by mike on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby Enraged » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 pm

looks good! what electronics/extruder are you using?
Enraged
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby mike » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm using the RAMPS 1.4 shield & Pololu stepper drivers from UltiMachine and the MakerGear Plastruder.
mike
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby sdivad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:09 am

Yes this is excacly what I was thinking.

Were the fastening angles also bought in the makerslide store?

My thingy is only 250mm so the buildarea is only about 160mm if I tweak the design a little
Yours is BIG :mrgreen:
sdivad
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby mike » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 am

The fastening angles are 1x1 and 2x2 corner brackets from Misumi. The build platform size could be as large as 247mm x 279mm -- I figure I can always cut things down but I have a hard time finding a way to stretch the extrusions ;)

The motors are mounted and the Z-axis operational. Next up: make the idler pulley brackets.

I was hoping to shoot a video of the Z-axis moving, but I think I've got a basic misunderstanding of the Sprinter firmware. I expected to see some movement after a simple "G1 Z 10" G-code passed to Sprinter... nothing happened. The motors turn if I run the RAMPS 1.4 TestCode.pde sketch, so I know the drivers are working... Any thoughts?

6895066525_f443b9033d.jpg
Official Image
mike
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby BenJackson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 am

All the limit switches are probably enabled and are expected to be wired "NC" so with them missing the printer continuously thinks it's hitting all the endstops.
BenJackson
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby JeremyBP » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Do the motors make any noise at all? If the end stops aren't setup correctly in the firmware, the motors in all axes should only move in one direction. I'm not sure how picky Sprinter is about its g-code, but try giving it a feedrate. For example, G1 Z20 F160.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:37 am
Location: Oak Park, IL

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby bdring » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:54 pm

It is most likely your limit switches. On the RAMPS, a quick solution it to short out the pins using a standard push on header jumper. You might be able to steal one off an old hard drive. You can fix it in the controller software, but this is only temporary, so why change the software twice.

At that length you will probably get some whip in the lead screws when the z is low. I would make a simple keeper at the top. it can double as a thrust bearing. You could use some shorter screws until you are printing, then print some keepers for the top.

Edit: ....or just keep the Z slow for a while
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby mike » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:01 am

Many thanks for the suggestions -- turns out I had the wrong motherboard setting in the Sprinter configuration...
Missed that it should have been 33, not 3 :oops:

In any case, got the Y & Z axes working!
mike
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Mike's ORD Bot build

Postby JeremyBP » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Congratulations!
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:37 am
Location: Oak Park, IL

Next

Return to Build Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests