6%
Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder
23%
Other
9%

Total votes : 35

Extruder Poll

Postby bdring » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 pm

I want to get an idea of what extruders people are planning to use on the ORD Bot.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Extruder Poll

Postby Zat German » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:50 pm

For my Other vote: Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder.
Zat German

Postby awesomenesser » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I really want to use the Makerbot Stepstruder MK7 but it has been 2 weeks, of daily checking, and it seems to always be out of stock.
awesomenesser

Postby Enraged » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:31 pm

awesomenesser wrote:I really want to use the Makerbot Stepstruder MK7 but it has been 2 weeks, of daily checking, and it seems to always be out of stock.

Me too. If I can't get one in a timely manner I'll probably get the MK6+
Enraged

Postby Halfdead » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:37 pm

I've already ordered MakerGear Stepper Plastruder.
Halfdead

Postby bdring » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:23 pm

I added Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder, but it looks like it reset the count. You are allowed to re-vote.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby PLCNC » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I will use the Makerbot Stepstruder MK7, I light the robust mecanical build head, and the good Cartridge Heater + a .4mm Brass Nozzle.
PLCNC

Postby butterfingers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 pm

I would like an extruder that looks like it's meant to be there. The ORD Bot to me represents a high quality piece of industrial design, whereas the extruders I've seen so far look like they've been hacked together. For me, it's not purely about functionality. I know that's enough for some, but I plan to have my Hadron on my desk, not in a workshop.

I keep reading and reading. Too much reading!

What I may now do is have the components for a Wade extruder professionally machined, not printed. I'd like to use a J-Head nozzle, which does look like quite an elegant device as well as having a reputation for good functionality. I know that one of the prime design intentions of this technology is to be able to own the "means of production", and I do look forward to being able to print a printer for my kids and friends, but I need to sit and look at this thing too!
butterfingers

Postby Enraged » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Coming from an engineering background, it seems to me that the majority of people building Repraps and the like are just the average person, with not a lot of technical background.

The Makerbot parts seem to be different, being well designed, with an eye on simplicity and ease of use.

Looking at different extruders and hot ends, the J head looks like a good concept, but I would want to be able to change nozzle sizes as technology/skill progresses.

If you want to throw people for a loop, design a completely different extruder that uses low cost plastic pellets rather than filament.
Enraged

Postby butterfingers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Enraged wrote:If you want to throw people for a loop, design a completely different extruder that uses low cost plastic pellets rather than filament.

In my wanderings online I've come across a couple of designs that takes pellets/granules:

http://reprap.org/wiki/GranuleExtruder
http://reprap.org/wiki/Better_Granular_Extruder_Deutsch
http://reprap.org/wiki/Web4Deb_extruder

It's an interesting idea though, given that it's the "normal" distribution medium for plastics. I've not seen PLA in granules at retail, but it's no doubt available commercially.
butterfingers

Next

Return to ORD Bot