PPI Now Available with LO DSP AWC-608 Software Update

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Re: PPI Now Available with LO DSP AWC-608 Software Update

Postby twehr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm

mattrsch wrote:Does having the PPI enabled effect engraving, or is it ignored for engravings?
I have a lot of 1/8" ply that loves to char, so I'm really looking forward to seeing if the PPI reduces the charing. I will post some pictures here once I have had a chance to test.

I believe it affects engraving as well. I turned it on and it greatly reduced the "burn", either through the reduced amount of cumulative power or just the spacing of the pulses. In fact, I got one engraving on craft ply that seemed to be an impression with zero charring. Not sure when I will want that but it was kind of cool - like a debossed area.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Greolt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Greolt wrote:Been playing with the PPI feature.

Seems to work.

Can I respectfully say, that the Manufacturers Parameters (password protected area) is a silly place to have this setting.

PPI is a setting that will be selected on a job by job basis. It should be in the Layer Parameters dialogue box. It is an operators setting.

Greolt

My apologies to those who found my comments offensive.

I assure you that offence was not intentional.

Greolt
Greolt

Postby Speedythinker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 am

mattrsch wrote:Well said, Tim
I don't want to derail the thread, but it kind of reminds me of this:

Marco,
Does having the PPI enabled effect engraving, or is it ignored for engravings?
I have a lot of 1/8" ply that loves to char, so I'm really looking forward to seeing if the PPI reduces the charing. I will post some pictures here once I have had a chance to test.

Added to what Tim saying, currently the PPI affects both cutting and engraving. After confirm that it's working, then our next move is to put it on each layer so that you can enable or disable it. But the Frequency setting will be stayed in the System configuration. But before we do it, we have to take care the Illustrator importing. Li is working on SVG importing from Illustrator and the task is very complicated. Unlike some guys said why not this and why not that which sounds easy, it's going to take a couple week to finish. So, the PPI is pretty much settle for now till the importing task is completed. If making two click to enable to enable the PPI is too much works for guys, then works for Li to spend days & night to make it work should be taken greatly taken into account.

Marco

Marco
Speedythinker

Postby twehr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 am

Speedythinker wrote:
mattrsch wrote:
Added to what Tim saying, currently the PPI affects both cutting and engraving. After confirm that it's working, then our next move is to put it on each layer so that you can enable or disable it. But the Frequency setting will be stayed in the System configuration. But before we do it, we have to take care the Illustrator importing. Li is working on SVG importing from Illustrator and the task is very complicated. Unlike some guys said why not this and why not that which sounds easy, it's going to take a couple week to finish. So, the PPI is pretty much settle for now till the importing task is completed. If making two click to enable to enable the PPI is too much works for guys, then works for Li to spend days & night to make it work should be taken greatly taken into account.

Marco

Marco

Marco,

When you say the "frequency" are you referring to tube frequency or ppi rate? The ppi rate needs to be on the layers as well. Different materials need different rates so this will need to be changed often, and you may want one rate for engraving and different for cutting. Having the rate and the on/off in two different places will be awkward.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Speedythinker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 am

I'll check with Li see what he say. He told me before that making PPI on the top level was a big piece of task to do. He would have spend a lot of time in order to make it mission possible.

Marco
Speedythinker

Previous

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller