energy chain

Bearings/Motors/Belts/Gears/Etc.

energy chain

Postby lasersafe1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:12 am

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to the IGUS energy chain? You know, the thingy that can hold wires or air assist tubing in a folding linear line. I think it is interesting that many manufacturers are using simple ribbon cable for the motor wires. The ribbon will lay flat but then flex 180 degrees over itself as the carraige moves. I was wondering if one might choose a "ribbon" tubing that has 6 or 8 smaller tubes connected side by side. With this in mind, each individual tube would only carry a fraction of the total volume of air that could be fed to the air assist nozzle.

Any other ideas out there?
lasersafe1

Re: energy chain

Postby bdring » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 am

For what is is worth. I used Kabel Schlep. As I recall it was cheaper.

http://www.kabelschlepp.com/catalog_110 ... titrak.pdf
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby lasersafe1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm

what the heck?? They must not advertise very much because I've never heard of them before. Even on Ebay, they have no presence. I'll look and see if they have the tiny stuff. I'm thinking of a very small carraige that will only carry the air assist tube. I suppose if it also carried a couple of wires then I could actually use the triangulation type optical distance sensor for the autofocus right from the lens carraige. Not a high priority.
lasersafe1

Postby pixpop » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:27 am

lasersafe1 wrote: ... I could actually use the triangulation type optical distance sensor for the autofocus right from the lens carraige.

What is this triangulation thingy of which you speak?
pixpop

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:57 am

Sharp semiconductor Distance measurement chip. See datasheet below. They are carried by Digikey and come in many standard centimeter distance models.
Attachments
GP2Y0D21YK0F.pdf
(389.34 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times
lasersafe1

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:02 am

I guess I shouldn't have complained about the IGUS price. I called my regional rep and he kindly offered to give me everything I need as a free sample. Now IGUS is the best! Go IGUS! :D :D :D :D :P :D :D :D :D
lasersafe1

Return to Mechatronics