Belt Length Calculator

Bearings/Motors/Belts/Gears/Etc.

Belt Length Calculator

Postby bdring » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 pm

I got frustrated with the calculator at Stock Drive so I wrote my own.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/belt_calcs.htm

I used a formula from my Machinery's Handbook.

m_h.jpg
m_h.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 12075 times
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Belt Length Calculator

Postby quadmasta » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Your page has javascript errors, Bart.

I'm sending an email to you with the corrections.
quadmasta

Postby Cre8ivdsgn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 am

I have a copy of the handbook over my head, and so of course I looked, but my edition (#23) doesn't seem to have anything on timing belts or pulleys (flat belts, V belts, and everything else). But it occurs to me that the pulses per inch is figured out based on pulses per revolution divided by pitch circumference. For example, 200 steps x 10 microsteps per step equals 2000 microsteps per revolution. Divide this by pitch diameter times pi and you get ppi - in this case an 18 tooth pulley has a diameter of 0.458 and so I get 1389.9995 pulses per inch. But the calculator throws back 1388.889. The difference isn't much, but I'd be curious as to what the MH formula was, if you could list it.
Cre8ivdsgn

Postby bdring » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Javascript errors: It appears some Mac browsers are having trouble. I will swap out the problem code.

Calculations: You can really ignore diameters with resolution calculation. It only has to do with teeth. Each rev always moves the belt an even amount of teeth. If the diameter varies a little, it does not matter as long as the teeth can mesh with the belt. The book only has to do with the belt length calculation (first page of belts section), the res calcs are very simple math, but done enough to warrant a calculator.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Mechatronics