Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Post your build logs here

3D Files

Postby bdring » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:22 pm

I have not figured out a good way to share the 3D files efficiently. They change so often I would spend more time maintaining the on line versions than doing design work. I can probably provide STEP file snapshots of the design via email by special request to active forum members.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Postby bodgeit » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi

Im trying to find the basic drawings for the flat perspex belt clamps I need to modifiy the drawing to suit 5mm pitch metric belt.

here is the post where they are shown viewtopic.php?f=16&t=135&start=10#p460

Many thanks

Dave C
bodgeit

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 pm

I don't use those clamps on the design anymore. With practice, acrylic is easy to tap. Unfortunately, many people had nothing to practice on and broke a part or two. These tiny clamps were especially vulnerable. I switched to this style. The belt is tensioned by moving the idler pulley.

new_clamp.JPG

I have attached the clamp drawing in case you want to use it anyway. It is a PDF with a DXF as an attachment.
Attachments
belt_clamps_rev_2.pdf
(79 KiB) Downloaded 1623 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bodgeit » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Great thank you ~ I won't be tapping the hole just making a square cutout for a nut to fit into and drilling all the way through, if it works will post the drawing here Reprap WIKI and Thingyverse. It will be for the 5mm pitch 1.2mm thick Syncroflex belt as it not so easy to get the 80thou belt here in the UK.

I may also try out 2mm pitch ball chain as a drive system ~ though im not sure that the 2mm pitch size is universaly avalible.

There are alredy a few designs using the 3.3mm and 3.5mm diameter ball-chain on Thingyverse for Reprap type machines.
bodgeit

Assist Nozzles

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:16 pm

I found out the nozzles I had on order probably won't come in until the first week of January. Sorry for the delay for all who have requested them.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Update Z Axis

Postby AndyKunz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:51 am

bdring wrote:A while back someone suggested using a NEMA 17 as my Z axis motor. This would get all motors to be NEMA 17's. I decided to try it as well incorporate some other ideas. It worked great and it is the current method I use for my axis. I will be releasing the drawings for it soon, and it will be new Z axis kit.

It is a simpler than the old method as it uses a lot less of the "fold back" bearings. The fold back bearings were used to get greater engagement of the belts with the pulleys. It turns out that it was overkill and just using a pulley with more teeth does just as well. It is easier to show this rendering than try to take a picture of it.
z_lift 3.jpg

I'm building a 900x600 60W laser in a thread over here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243133

I like the design of your lift, but I'm wondering about strength. My honeycomb weighs 18 pounds, and aside from cutting balsa I would like to engrave stone, metal, and glass, so another say 10 pounds would not be unreasonable for me.

Have you done any weight tests using your parts? Will they handle a 30 pound system safely?

Thanks.

Andy
AndyKunz

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:11 pm

For that weight, I'd consider moving up to Acme threaded rod at least and beef up the motors a bit.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Previous

Return to Build Logs