Re: Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Postby willyinaus » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 am

Whats a Makebot make :shock:
willyinaus

Postby bdring » Fri May 07, 2010 11:17 am

Comment From Buildlog Author
MakerBot

Willy, you loose one geek point for not knowing. It is a open source 3D printer. It uses a lot of laser cut parts. A forum reader is actually using a MakerBot to make a air assist nozzle for my laser design. Funny how that works out.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby willyinaus » Mon May 10, 2010 5:22 am

Do I gain one if I make one no idea what for but it looks super cool when its running.
willyinaus

Postby benwyne » Mon May 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Regarding alternatives to the vgroove bearings, how about this? It seems to run along the aluminium extrusion itself. Problem is they don't seem to do one that would fit the current 2040 extrusion. Any thoughts?

http://www.8020.net/Training-11.asp
http://download.8020inc.net/PDF/Metric_Section_9.pdf
benwyne

Postby Ben » Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am

benwyne wrote:Regarding alternatives to the vgroove bearings, how about this? It seems to run along the aluminium extrusion itself. Problem is they don't seem to do one that would fit the current 2040 extrusion. Any thoughts?

http://www.8020.net/Training-11.asp
http://download.8020inc.net/PDF/Metric_Section_9.pdf

I don’t mean to be rude but didn’t you already ask this question here:http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=197
-Ben

My Lasers:
40w CO2 Laser (Chinese Glass Tube), Directed Energy Inc. 30w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), Laakmann Electro-Optics 20w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), 7-10w RF CO2 Laser
Coherent 12w 808nm FAP LASER DIODE
MELLES GRIOT He-Ne Laser
Ben

Assembling Z

Postby bdring » Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 am

I got a lot of the parts for the Z axis today. I got the extrusions and the belts.

I started by loosely assembling the parts onto the rails, making sure the belt looped through the pulleys and fold back bearings correctly. The parts were assembled close together so the tension of the belts was not making it difficult.

Next I positioned the rear lead screws assemblies. I secured them tightly making sure the lead screws were perfectly vertical.

I them positioned the front lead screw assemblies. I decided at the last minute to put the motor towards the front. It does not really change anything, but puts the trickiest part up close where it is easy to reach.

I ran out of T-Nuts so I can't attach the table, but I set it in place to check the dimensions. It looks good.
newz2.jpg

newz1.jpg

newz3.jpg

newz4.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Z Axis Testing

Postby bdring » Thu May 13, 2010 2:35 pm

I got new Z axis and table installed. I works well. It runs a lot faster, smoother and quieter than the chain drive version.

One of the lead screws had a slight bend to it that cause a little wiggle in the table. I was able to strighten it by hand. I rolled it on a table to verify it was straight.

One of the bearings for the lead screws was a mounted at a little angle that caused a little resistance to turning. That was easily fixed.

When I cranked up the speed to "ludicrous speed" I was able to get the belt to walk off one of the fold back bearings. This was on the back right lead screw. When the belt is coming from a near by pulley, the pulley flange keeps it on the bearing. When coming from a distant fold back bearing and running fast, the the belt might bounce a little and allow walking off the bearing. I accidently bought 0.25" wide belts instead of 0.375" wide. The wider belt will probably self limit the walk before it can jump off. I slowed the speed to go full Z travel in about 8 seconds. It went up and down for about 10 minutes without a jump off. That is fast enough. I may even slow it down further, because it is usually run in jog mode to finely adjust the focus. Speed just makes it more touchy.

I will take some pictures and a video soon.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Pictures of Z

Postby bdring » Thu May 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Here is a picture and video of the completed Z. I think one of the shafts is still a little bent. You can still see and hear a tiny little shimmy (let's see Google translate that). I am OK with it as is though.

I put aluminum perf stock on the top of the table I will put honeycomb on top of this, but I wanted the air to be able to blow through.

z_surface.jpg

Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Tweakie » Fri May 14, 2010 5:53 am

Looking good.
Will you be able to alter the height during the work process (on the fly, so to speak) ?.

Tweakie.
Tweakie

Postby bdring » Fri May 14, 2010 11:19 am

Yes,
The most complicated so far is one run with two thickness. If you can handle the gcode you could etch on an egg, but the beam is always at the same angle, so there are limits on what you will get
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs