Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Post your build logs here

Remote Trigger

Postby bdring » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:31 am

I bumped the mirrors a few times while installing the cover and gas springs so I wanted to re-align the mirrors. I thought a neat low tech feature would be to have a remote laser trigger. This would allow me to trigger the laser while I am near the mirrors.

I already had a manual button on my front interface, so I just put a 1/4" mono jack connector in parallel with it. I then put a button at the end of a long cable with a mating plug.
remote_trigger.jpg
Remote Trigger

Yes....my manual power control knob is timing pulley. I did not have a real knob and the pulley fit :oops:
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Slot Cover Wiring Trick

Postby bdring » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 am

I don't think I posted this trick before...

Misumi sells some extruded "slot cover" material. This is a little 'C' shaped piece that snaps into the slots.
cover_snap.jpg
Slot Cover
cover_snap.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 35373 times

I found that it works great to dress up or hide the wires. It snaps in anywhere so you can start and stop it right where you need it.
slot_cover.JPG
Captures/Hides Wires
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

New Z Lift Design

Postby bdring » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:31 pm

I am working on a new simplified Z lift design. I want to make all the parts out of the same 6mm acrylic material that everything else is made out of. I also want to support it from the frame only. This will make the bottom skin simpler. It will also be much easier to build and adjust.

My first attempt at the design is shown below. This assembly will be the same in all corners but one. One corner will have some adjustment of the idler pulley to allow the belt to be tensioned. The motor (not designed yet) will be in the back of the cabinet. This design looses a little Z travel, but increases the table X/Y size. I think this is better anyway.
new_z.jpg
New Z Lift Design Idea
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

New Z Lift Design

Postby bdring » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 pm

I refined the design to use a few less parts. The motor is mounted on one of the corners. This puts it in a nice location for shortest wiring. The lower right corner has the belt adjustment. This is just the sub assembly view. It mounts to the existing frame. Not all small hardware parts are shown yet.

I think I will laser out some parts and test it.
z_lift_2.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Z Part Test

Postby bdring » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 am

I laser cut two parts to test the clamping of the bearing. I think it will work great. I am still thrilled and amazed that the laser is accurate enough to cut a hole that can later be tapped (#6-32) without any clean-up drilling. 8-)

This is one of four upper bearing blocks.
z_part1.jpg
Z Part Test
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: New Z Lift Design

Postby Ben » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:09 am

bdring wrote:I refined the design to use a few less parts. The motor is mounted on one of the corners. This puts it in a nice location for shortest wiring. The lower right corner has the belt adjustment. This is just the sub assembly view. It mounts to the existing frame. Not all small hardware parts are shown yet.

I think I will laser out some parts and test it.
z_lift_2.jpg

TBH I wasn’t a big fan of this design until I realized it allows you to mount the Z axis motor outside the perimeter of the cutting area; now I think it’s great :D ! Your method of routing the belt is simpler than mine and accomplishes the same belt contact area. I will probably go with a similar design when I’m able to update my Z axis design.
-Ben

My Lasers:
40w CO2 Laser (Chinese Glass Tube), Directed Energy Inc. 30w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), Laakmann Electro-Optics 20w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), 7-10w RF CO2 Laser
Coherent 12w 808nm FAP LASER DIODE
MELLES GRIOT He-Ne Laser
Ben

Re: Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Postby willyinaus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 pm

.That looks like a really good design you have made up is it ok if I steal it when you have it all worked out ;)
willyinaus

Z Lift Parts

Postby bdring » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I fabricated the new Z lift parts. I don't have the correct pulleys yet, so I only put together the motor corner as a test. The parts all laser cut very well. It is a lot easier than routing, because you don't have to babysit the machine as much. With routing there is always concern of a piece of scrap getting itself in trouble. There will also be a piece that rides on the lead screw that attaches to the bed. I will work on that next. I want that to be much more simple than it is now.
lift_parts1.jpg
Motor Plate

I doubled up on the bearings. This might not be needed, but they are a little narrow compared to the belt. There is a washer between each bearing to make sure there is no stress between the inner and outer races.
lift_parts2.jpg.jpg
Motor Plate close up

I added one more feature at the last minute that may not even be necessary. Each piece with a lead screw has a tapped hole. This can be used to support the piece against the bottom if it starts to sag. A screw can be lowered to contact the floor as an additional support point. The Acrylic is quite stiff. With eight support brackets, it probably is not necessary.
lift_parts3.jpg
Extra support point.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Robert Williams » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:30 am

Is the Z motor NEMA 17 or NEMA 23?
Robert Williams

Postby bdring » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:48 am

Comment From Buildlog Author
Z motor is NEMA 23.

I could probably put both patterns on the motor bracket just for the fun of it. I get the pulleys next week. I did not order the belt yet, because I want to make sure everything fits right. I think I might give http://www.econobelt.com/ at try. The belts seem a lot cheaper than Stock Drive. The pulleys are about the same price.

Now that the laser is pretty productive, I might start selling part kits. I think I will start with an 6mm Acrylic part kit for the XY system, a 1/4" MDF part kit for the skins and an Acrylic one for the Z lift assembly. The kits would just be for the parts not available off the shelf. I might see about qty buys from the v bearing people to get the cost down on those expensive items. The cost would be less than you could get it at Ponoko or Pulolu.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs