BingLast BuildLog

Post your build logs here

Re: BingLast BuildLog

Postby orcinus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:11 pm

BingLast wrote:Thanks Mr.O. I wish I could buy kapton tape by the meter here in the Philippines. They sell it by 37 yards per spool for around $50.00

Yeah, i've got the same problem here (Croatia).
orcinus

Postby BingLast » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:13 am

baz wrote:Hi BingLast,

I have just started my build and was looking at the photos in your first post for some inspiration on my electronic set up. The main problem I am facing is what type of four pin connector to get. The wiki advises to use 4 Pin Molex micro fit connectors, however I can only source them in one place (I am from the UK) and the are pretty expensive. The other problem is that I cant seen to find a decent alternative. So, when I was looking at your photos I noticed you are using a different 4 pin connector to the ones I have seen, it looks similar to a PWM connector, is it?

Thanks,

Baz

Hey Baz,

Sorry for this late reply. I got most of my 4-pin connectors from old computer motherboards and peripherals.
BingLast

Postby BingLast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 am

baz wrote:Hi BingLast,

I have just started my build and was looking at the photos in your first post for some inspiration on my electronic set up. The main problem I am facing is what type of four pin connector to get. The wiki advises to use 4 Pin Molex micro fit connectors, however I can only source them in one place (I am from the UK) and the are pretty expensive. The other problem is that I cant seen to find a decent alternative. So, when I was looking at your photos I noticed you are using a different 4 pin connector to the ones I have seen, it looks similar to a PWM connector, is it?

Thanks,

Baz

Hey Baz,

The 4-pin and 3-pin male connectors are from old motherboards.
BingLast

Postby BingLast » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am

I've been stuck for 3 weeks now battling between form and function. My cabling from the frame to the extruder gantry looks like shit. I have a double extruder and thats a lot of wires. I've toying on the idea of using an old
25-pin RS-232 parallel cable and port. I can just use double wires for the extruder element. What you think?
20121210_002853.jpg

A second challenge I have is the end-stop on the X-axis rubs against the extruder gantry belt. Any suggestions?
20121210_002836.jpg
BingLast

Postby BingLast » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 am

Hadron Mods_1.jpg
Hadron Mods_2.jpg
My DB-25 parallel Mods will probably look like this.
BingLast

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:01 pm

The set screws for my limits switches touch very slightly, but do not bend the belt like in your picture. I have a lot of miles on my Quantum without problems. Maybe the idler bracket is slightly offset center on yours (or mine).

The 25 pin cable might be worth a try, but even with 25 there are too many wires to double up on. There are are lot of redundant signals you might be able to get creative with. The extruder fans and extruder heaters all have constant on 12V circuits (GND is switched). You could share some grounds between limits switches and thermisters. I only have one circuit for the extruder fans. They or either both on or both off.

I used 2 springs. One at each end of the cable. I needed to switch to a 3/8 diameter one for on one side. My wiring looks super clean right up to the extruder carriage. Then is looks a little scary.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:39 pm

The DB-25 is not a good idea, at least IMHO.
Even the spring turned out to be a bad idea rather soon - the moment i've started adding things like fans and LEDs, i ran out of space inside the spring and had to either redo the cabling completely, or just zip-tie the additional cables to the outside of the spring. And i haven't even added the second extruder yet.

With something "permanently limited" like a DB-25 on the end of that spring, the problem will just be more exacerbated.

A larger diameter spring (or two of them) or tubing and individual connectors (molex or even simple heat-shrink-wrapped pin headers) for each function is a better idea for future expansion and servicing, even if it won't look as pretty.

Edit: my limit stop rubbed against the belt initially too. The way to avoid it is to unscrew it and move/rotate the T-nut a bit, then retighten. It has about 2-3 mm of play inside the rail when not tightened, so you should be able to get it far enough from the belt to get it not to touch it.

I've got a different issue with the belt, though... One of my limit switches gets stuck on it after it hits the home position, then "unsticks" after it gets a few cm away. Not a big deal, since all the firmwares register just the rising edge upon homing, but slightly annoying. Already tried bending the lever of the switch and that helped a bit, but didn't solve it, guess i'll have to just cut a part of it.
orcinus

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 pm

You almost need a remote dual extruder PCB. Just run Gnd, 12V TX and RX to the carriage.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm

That would be rather neat. I love decentralized processing.
Although you'd have to worry about extruder board firmware then on top of everything else :)

Completely unrelated... I've just had the weirdest idea ever...
Using the filament as a punch card! Imagine if gcode for printing a particular object was encoded into the filament itself, as a series of dots or discolorations. An optical reader positioned above the extruder reads those and the printer FW executes them as it consumes that very same filament :)
orcinus

Previous

Return to Build Logs